cdrom drives not reading certain disks

asa

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2005
I just recently upgraded win2k pro with xinxp pro and found that neither of my 2 drives could read certain disks. I was able to use all of my driver disks but when I tried to use a couple of burned disks, the drives couldn't read them and would get locked up. I had used the same discs the previous day with win2k and had no problem. The problem isn't just with burned discs because I have used other burned discs with no problems. The only common factor is the brand which is fujifilm dvd r+ 4.7gb. I assumed the problem was with the discs until I tried reinstalling GTA:SA(store bought not burned) and got the same problem.

drives:eek:ptorite cd-rw and pioneer dvd-rw

pat

Expert
if you have an nforce motherboard, you'll want to use Microsoft IDE drivers instead of nvidia's sw drivers

(\__/)
<b>(</b>='.'=<b>)</b>
(")<b><font color=red>ώ</font color=red></b>(") This is my bunny.. got mumps from Ned!!!

asa

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2005
I do in fact have an nforce board and I switched to the microsoft device drivers for the ide controller but got no results.

pat

Expert
If you did install MS drivers after the nforce one, then go to property and try disabling the dvd and enabling them again. Or you can just try to switch the devices over the controller.

(\__/)
<b>(</b>='.'=<b>)</b>
(")<b><font color=red>ώ</font color=red></b>(") This is my bunny.. got mumps from Ned!!!

asa

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2005
I got the pioneer drive to work by switching the controller to pio mode only. I had done this previously but only got results after switching to the microsoft drivers. I don't know why this doesn't work with the other drive but I can live with it. Thanks for the help

pat

Expert
You can also try newer IDE flat cable. Old ones are maybe getting bad connection that kills performance.

(\__/)
<b>(</b>='.'=<b>)</b>

riser

Illustrious
If you burned it with the same drive, you might have a problem with the disc, or it's the controllers.

But if you burned it with a different brand drive or a different drive, it may have burned outside the capabilities of the drive to read. Overburn is what some software call it.

If you can read a normal CD/DVD, you're fine. If you can't read a burned one, then it might be a hardware problem more than a software one.

riser

Illustrious
If some discs work, some don't, we don't have enough info on it to know, which is why I said what I said.
When he posts back, he'll read this and hopefully answer the question.

asa

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2005
I have used 3 burned discs on my comp since switching to winxp. 2 were fujifilm dvd+r and didn't work until after i switched ide drivers and switched to pio only. the third disc is a maxwell cd-r that I had no problems reading at all. all 3 discs where burned on a seperate machine. so far the only other disc i had problems with was a retail discs of gta sa.

i also used other discs burned on this comp and had no problems.

riser

Illustrious
DVD+Rs aren't industry standard which can cause unreadablity in some cases. DVD-Rs are standard. +R use like 8MB additional for encoding some features, which probably explains why switching the drivers let you read it and the XP ones didn't - most likely they either didn't work right with your device or XP doesn't include native support for +R, but I doubt that.