Temperatures

G

I am running a 900mhz Thunderbird (not overclocked) on an Asus A7V w/ 256mb RAM, a GeForce2, and 3 PCI cards (winmodem, NIC, and SbLive). My Asus Probe program always reads my CPU temperature at 55C/131F and my motherboard temperature at 37C/98F. Now, it has been running like this for almost 6 months with few lock-ups, but I have been told those temperatures are very hot. Are these numbers normal? Any problems? Thanks.

Ah yes, Would this have anything to do w/ never letting my computer go into suspend mode? It only goes into screen saver after 5 minutess(I never have it turn off the monitor), shuts the hard disk down after 1 hour, but never goes into full suspend mode. So, it is basically on all the time.

And right now after lots of Unreal Tournament the temp. is 56 and 37.

mpjesse

Splendid
Those temps aren't horrible- but on average with a generic HSF. You might get less lockups in the long run if you get a good HSF. For the T-bird i'd recommend an Alpha PAL6035 and a Delta 38 CFM fan. Hedgehog and GlobalWin FOP38 are good HSF's too.

-MP JEsse

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i'm running a 800mhz duron (not oc'ed) with a chrome orb and i get @ 41c. you can get an orb for much less and it works well. just make sure you take off the thermal compound it comes with and use somehting else. i'm using generic radio shack thermal compound.

other things to look at in your system would be
1. the size of your case?
2. the number of fans moving air through it?
3. what kind of heatsink are you using now?

if all of these things are taken together they could add up to higher temps. letting it run all the time shouldn't make a huge difference if your cooling setup is done right.

<font color=red>booyah, grandma, booyah..</font color=red>

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
warning, if you decide to get a hsf with a delta fan, they run VERY fast and VERY loud. They are your best performers but have been compared to small model aircraft propellors in noise

If at first you don't succede, skydiving isn't for you.
<font color=blue>Intel Inside</font color=blue> = Idiot Outside