G

My computer specs:

Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 580 1536MB SOC

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 3,4GHz Black Edition

RAM: G.Skill 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz Ripjaws Gaming

PSU: Corsair TX 750W V2 80+ Bronze

I just bought the EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SOC graphics card and i got mass effect 3. I never had the chance to play mass effect or mass effect 2 because my previous computer wasn't built for gaming. So i installed this new graphics card and played the first mass effect. To my surprise it started to lag, especially in wide open areas like the Citadel. The screen sometimes stops for 3-4 seconds. One more thing, some graphics card components failed during installation : Physx System Software and HD Audio Driver. The graphics driver was successfully installed so i just didn't care about the rest.

So what is the problem here? Is it the cpu? Or maybe the psu?

silverliquicity

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
A few things to try.

Update every driver for every piece of hardware in your computer.
Check for any patch's for the game.

I had a freind who had the same kind of problem, he was going to buy a new graphics card until he asked me to have a look at it.
He had the graphcis card in the x8 PCI-e (were your second GPU goes if you have SLI/crossfire.)

G

I just put the graphics card directly below the previous PCI port. There are three ports exactly the same size and now i have placed it in the middle. Is it supposed to be in the middle or all the way down near the psu? And one more thing, does it really matter if i put my only graphics card in the pci slot where the 2nd is supposed to be? I am not saying you are wrong or anything, just curious. Is it not used to it's full potential if it's placed in the 2nd slot.

Thank you for responding so quickly to my question and i apologize if i bother you with these dumb questions.

G

I have patched the game and i have updated every driver for every piece of hardware, but i still see no difference. I dont even see a perfomance improvement after changing my gtx 560 to 580. Something is wrong , i just dont know what.

skaz

Distinguished

I would care about the rest. Find out what components you are actually utilizing. Find the most up to date drivers for those components and make sure the correct driver is installed for each one.

G

Ok i will check it out. I've just found a guide that explains how to install graphic cards drivers properly. Thx for the info.

G

A friend of mine said it as well. It is currently placed at the top.

G

I HAVE INSTALLED THE GRAPHICS DRIVERS THE "CORRECT" WAY AND IT FINALLY WORKS NOW. I TESTED OUT MASS EFFECT 2 AND SKYRIM AND THEY BOTH WERE AROUND 60 FPS.