Capture LPT1 to JetDirect in DOS

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I have checked the archives and this message has come up before, but
apparently never answered completely. Please help.

I have a customer who is trying to get our DOS application to print to
an HP LaserJet connected to a network via JetDirect from a Windows XP
computer. We can't do the typical:

NET USE LPT1: \\Servername\printername /persistent:yes

because there is no servername. When we look at the printer properties
for the port, we see "IP_192.168.1.45". If I type:

NET USE LPT1: \\IP_192.168.1.45

I get an error message.

If I type "NET VIEW \\192.168.1.45" I get an error message.

I suppose I need to say that the printer works fine with Windows apps.

Unfortunately, I can't easily get all the error message because my
client is in another state (while I currently reside in the state of
"confusion").

From what I can tell, I may be running into a problem with not being
able to communicate with the printer or it may relate to the problem
about getting XP to capture a printer port that exists as a physical
printer port on the computer.

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Jay Shilstone

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Greetings --

Have you tried using HP's JetAdmin utility to assign a host name
to the JetDirect device? After doing so, the Net Use command should
work.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. -- RAH

"James Shilstone" <shilstone.jay@shilstone.com> wrote in message
>I have checked the archives and this message has come up before, but
> apparently never answered completely. Please help.
>
> I have a customer who is trying to get our DOS application to print
> an HP LaserJet connected to a network via JetDirect from a Windows
> XP
> computer. We can't do the typical:
>
> NET USE LPT1: \\Servername\printername /persistent:yes
>
> because there is no servername. When we look at the printer
> properties
> for the port, we see "IP_192.168.1.45". If I type:
>
> NET USE LPT1: \\IP_192.168.1.45
>
> I get an error message.
>
> If I type "NET VIEW \\192.168.1.45" I get an error message.
>
> I suppose I need to say that the printer works fine with Windows
> apps.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't easily get all the error message because my
> client is in another state (while I currently reside in the state of
> "confusion").
>
> From what I can tell, I may be running into a problem with not being
> able to communicate with the printer or it may relate to the problem
> about getting XP to capture a printer port that exists as a physical
> printer port on the computer.
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks,
> Jay Shilstone

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Unless HP has enabled some version of SMB on their print servers this will
never work.

try this
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
> [...]

> an HP LaserJet connected to a network via JetDirect from a Windows XP
> computer. We can't do the typical:
>
> NET USE LPT1: \\Servername\printername /persistent:yes
>
> because there is no servername. When we look at the printer properties
> for the port, we see "IP_192.168.1.45". If I type:
>
> NET USE LPT1: \\IP_192.168.1.45
>
> I get an error message.
>
> If I type "NET VIEW \\192.168.1.45" I get an error message.
>
> I suppose I need to say that the printer works fine with Windows apps.
>
> Unfortunately, I can't easily get all the error message because my
> client is in another state (while I currently reside in the state of
> "confusion").
>
> From what I can tell, I may be running into a problem with not being
> able to communicate with the printer or it may relate to the problem
> about getting XP to capture a printer port that exists as a physical

Have you done :

net use lpt1 \\192.168.1.45\printername /persistent:yes

or Try it on another PC, make sure your on the correct network segment etc
etc etc

Duncan

TRENDING THREADS