Motorola WR850G / WR850GP 6.14 Firmware OUT!

After months of promises, the new, rebuilt, Motorola Firmware for
Routers/Access Points WR850GP version 6 is out!!!

This is not an official release, but the file (which should be the
final one) has been shared in the eD2k Network.

I've downloaded and tested it, and... It's simply fantastic!

For screen-shots, downloads, and other infos:
http://italy.copybase.ch/xtra/WR850G-GP/

Bye and EnJoy it!! :)

BYE!

That is fantastic news. I've heard great things about this firmware
over on the broadbandreports.com forums. Is there any way to tell if
this leaked firmware has been tainted at all (are there any hacker back
doors etc. placed in it etc.)?

Bryant Smith ha scritto:

> That is fantastic news. I've heard great things about this firmware
> over on the broadbandreports.com forums. Is there any way to tell if
> this leaked firmware has been tainted at all (are there any hacker back
> doors etc. placed in it etc.)?

Mh... I don't understand what you mean...

The firmware fix the only securty issue that the router had (and that
also verson 5.13 fixed).

Any other?

trevi55@gmail.com wrote:
> Bryant Smith ha scritto:
>

>>That is fantastic news. I've heard great things about this firmware
>>over on the broadbandreports.com forums. Is there any way to tell if
>>this leaked firmware has been tainted at all (are there any hacker back
>>doors etc. placed in it etc.)?
>

> Mh... I don't understand what you mean...
>
> The firmware fix the only securty issue that the router had (and that
> also verson 5.13 fixed).
>
> Any other?

Just from looking at the screenshots on your site there appears to be
several enhancements. WPA2, bridge mode/access point mode options, and
better logging to name a few. The interface is much more cluttered, but
I don't really care about that. I'm hoping this will have better bridge
support so I can use this instead of a wireless bridge. Wireless
bridges tend to cost more than routers for some odd reason.

I've not tested, but if you see this screen shot:
http://italy.copybase.ch/xtra/WR850G-GP/Wireless.html
You can see that there's the menu: " Wireless Bridge Operation:"
It has the follow options: "Wireless Bridge/Access Point" and
"Wireless Bridge".
So it really seem to have that feature.

Btw WDS was present still before.

OPS...

Update...

Thread Removed in broadbandreports :-|

trevi55@gmail.com wrote:
> I've not tested, but if you see this screen shot:
> http://italy.copybase.ch/xtra/WR850G-GP/Wireless.html
> You can see that there's the menu: " Wireless Bridge Operation:"
> It has the follow options: "Wireless Bridge/Access Point" and
> "Wireless Bridge".
> So it really seem to have that feature.
>
> Btw WDS was present still before.

I knew WDS was there before, but it wasn't obivious that the wr850g
would operate as an ethernet -> wireless bridge with non WDS enabled
routers.
I am curious as to what the other options under "Operation Mode" there
are on the 'Basic' screen (screenshot)
http://italy.copybase.ch/xtra/WR850G-GP/Basic.html
When I get a chance to try this out I will definitely try out those options.

Operation Mode could set to "Router" o to "Access Point".
Basically, if it works as access point is like the motorola wa840g.
Btw, in my lan it doesn't worked that setting.
I've a Cisco ISDN router connected to internet and the Motorola router
has the Cisco router as gateway. So I tried to set my Moto only as AP,
but I had problem.
As router works correctly and it has all the features actived (like
firewall, that as AP is disabled).

Bye!

trevi55@gmail.com wrote:
> Operation Mode could set to "Router" o to "Access Point".

I was hoping that Operation Mode would have Access Point, Router and
Bridge. Looks like I'll have to figure out the bridge functionality on
my own. I'd like to use it as a wireless adapter for a gaming console,
but my other wireless router doesn't support WDS. If it could act like
a WE800G that would be nice.

> Basically, if it works as access point is like the motorola wa840g.
> Btw, in my lan it doesn't worked that setting.
> I've a Cisco ISDN router connected to internet and the Motorola router
> has the Cisco router as gateway. So I tried to set my Moto only as AP,
> but I had problem.
> As router works correctly and it has all the features actived (like
> firewall, that as AP is disabled).
>
> Bye!

It is interesting that it has problems with Access Point mode. I am
currently using my WR850G as an access point point behind a Siemens
router. I just disabled the WAN and DHCP on the WR850 then hooked the
Siemens router to one the WR850G's LAN ports.

trevi55@gmail.com wrote:
> After months of promises, the new, rebuilt, Motorola Firmware for
> Routers/Access Points WR850GP version 6 is out!!!
>
> This is not an official release, but the file (which should be the
> final one) has been shared in the eD2k Network.
>
> I've downloaded and tested it, and... It's simply fantastic!
>
> For screen-shots, downloads, and other infos:
> http://italy.copybase.ch/xtra/WR850G-GP/
>
> Bye and EnJoy it!! :)
>
> BYE!

I tried out the new firmware and I bricked my router. I used the web
interface to upgrade it from 5.13. The update page said "Update
Failed". I tried a few times, but it wouldn't go. I reset it and it
never came back up. I can no longer access the control panel and it
acts only as a switch. I get a response when I ping it aat
192.168.10.1, but no web interface. The power LED is constantly red
and there is no Wireless LED. I bet Motorola won't want to give me a
new one under warranty will they?

Mh... I do start thinking that version 5.13 gives problems also when
upgrading...
I upgraded from 4.03, and as you can see, has gone all well.

Btw the forum in BroadBandReporters has been re-opened.
Maybe it's better to continue there:
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,14318907

But I can't figure how the update made problems. The firmware is good.
Try to use test-ways to reput OpenWrt and then restore official
firmware.

izznawal

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
thannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnk
yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooou
verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry
muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuchhhh