My CPU is so HOT!

G

I just built a PC identical to the PC tomshardware just built, except a few minor changes. (BTW I built the PC a week or two before he posted his 'how to' document...)

Anyway mine is 1ghz and not an 800oc @ 1000 and my heatsink is different also but that is about it, same mobo, sound card, etc. I get around 50 celsius temp on my CPU when my case is on, and it was around 55 celcius before I put on thermal compound! This is extremely hot, i know. My computer locks up when I play games alot and I have to keep my case off so it comes down to 44c and not crash. I am using a cooler master heatsink (yeah i know it aint good) but i read a review on it over here and it is supposed to keep my CPU at 42c. I don't know if Tom had the case off or what, but I was getting like 55c. Should I add more fans in my case, or get another heatsink brand? Also where can I get the same heatsink that Tom used when he built his computer? I shop at Fry's electronics but I don't think they carry it. Thanks for any replies ahead of time.

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i suggest the following modifications.
1. have 1 fan in front sucking air in, 1 in back pushing it out (in addition to the p/s fan)
2. get a chrome orb (@ $12) but remove the compound before you use it.
3. get some arctic silver compound for the heatsink.

all of these are fairly inexpensive ways to improve the cooling of your system.

<font color=red>booyah, grandma, booyah..</font color=red>

G

I think I will get the Global Win heatsink with Artic Silver compound. Would you know of any retailer that sells Artic Silver? Like Fry's or Best Buy? If not where can I find this online? thanks

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
hey i used to have one of the cooler masters and i THOUGHT i had a heat problem too. So when i got a globalwin 32 i removed my old heatsink and low and behold, I put in on backwards so that the thermal tape was NOT touching the core. Make sure you didnt do the same thing before you buy a hsf that you dont really need. And yes, the coolermaster should keep it at around 42 when properly installing and functioning.

If at first you don't succede, skydiving isn't for you.
<font color=blue>Intel Inside</font color=blue> = Idiot Outside

G

i thought that was funny the person that calls intel users idots cant even put a heatsink the correct way. Things that make you go hmmm

mpjesse

Splendid
Don't forget that most people (when benchmarking heat) leave the motherboard sitting on a table or something. Hardly anyone bothers to put it in a case and see what the REAL temp. will be.

-MP Jesse

G

you can find Arctic Silver and good heatsinks at www.inflowdirect.com. They have all your cooling solutions! I have not found anything other than normal white heatsink grease at Frys's, and Best Buy you have got to be kidding...

G

Thanks for the replies, I will be ordering new hsf and compound soon. also I am getting a new vid card and hopefully that will stabilize things too.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yeah, Best Buy is not a store for overclockers or people who like to modify their computers. For the stuff you want, you have to go online.

G

Ok heres the scoop.. if it's not too late..
Chances are your heatsink and case fans are working properly.. thats if you have an asus a7v mobo like Tom built. I also have an asus a7v and a tbird 800. I have a GlobalWin FOP38 strapped on that bad boy.. wow is it loud.. and I'm running at a cool 51 celcuis (eeeeek).
I did some research and found out that the bios is CONTROLLING the heat.. it is sending out some stupid signal to the processor that makes it not idle AT ALL. So, my advice to you is re-flash your bios to 1003. From the 1004x line they put that stupid thing on, I just found out about it today, so I didn't revert my bios, but rest assured that I will be doing it for my tbird begs to be oclocked with the setup I have, but not at the temp.
Also, if you don't like noise, DONT buy tge fop38.. it's really loud, I can't stress that enough, ITS REALLY LOUD. Seriously it's loud.
BTW, I am also using arctic silver paste.

W3RD