  • Deskjet
  • Printers
  • Windows XP
April 9, 2004 10:18:43 PM

We have a HP DeskJet 3550 installed on a Windows XP Professional machine
via USB. The DeskJet will print a test page in the administrator account,
but will not print in the limited account.
In the limited account, the print cartridge is moving like it is printing
but nothing prints; just a blank page comes out of the printer.
I turned off the Simple File Sharing and gave the full permission of the
printer to the limited account. Still, the printer does the same thing. I
check the control panel of the printer, and the setting appears to be the
same for the administrator and limited accounts.

More about : deskjet 3550 limited account

Anonymous
April 9, 2004 10:18:44 PM

We've seen this with XP Home and Limited Users but not in Pro (as far as I
can remember)..... are you running Norton Antivirus on the PC in question?

If so, in the properties of the printer, in the Advanced tab, set the
printer to Print Direct to Printer instead of using the Print Spooler
(center section of the page) and PLEASE let us know your results.

Cari
www.coribright.com

"Michael W White" <michael.wm.white@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> We have a HP DeskJet 3550 installed on a Windows XP Professional machine
> via USB. The DeskJet will print a test page in the administrator account,
> but will not print in the limited account.
> In the limited account, the print cartridge is moving like it is printing
> but nothing prints; just a blank page comes out of the printer.
> I turned off the Simple File Sharing and gave the full permission of the
> printer to the limited account. Still, the printer does the same thing. I
> check the control panel of the printer, and the setting appears to be the
> same for the administrator and limited accounts.

Anonymous
April 15, 2004 10:09:44 PM

We are using McAfee Anti-Virus 7.0.
I did change the configuration of the printer but the problem still
exists.
I also exclude the printer folder from the virus scan but that did not
work.

> We've seen this with XP Home and Limited Users but not in Pro (as far as I
> can remember)..... are you running Norton Antivirus on the PC in question?
>
> If so, in the properties of the printer, in the Advanced tab, set the
> printer to Print Direct to Printer instead of using the Print Spooler
> (center section of the page) and PLEASE let us know your results.
>
> Cari
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Michael W White" <michael.wm.white@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > We have a HP DeskJet 3550 installed on a Windows XP Professional
machine
> > via USB. The DeskJet will print a test page in the administrator
account,
> > but will not print in the limited account.
> > In the limited account, the print cartridge is moving like it is
printing
> > but nothing prints; just a blank page comes out of the printer.
> > I turned off the Simple File Sharing and gave the full permission of
the
> > printer to the limited account. Still, the printer does the same thing.
> > check the control panel of the printer, and the setting appears to be
the
> > same for the administrator and limited accounts.

April 20, 2004 5:19:03 PM

We finally replaced the printer with a DeskJet 3650, and it now prints in
the limited account. I guess there is some incompatibility between the
printer driver and Windows XP Professional.
We will know more later when we use the DeskJet 3550 on another Windows XP
Professional computer.

> We've seen this with XP Home and Limited Users but not in Pro (as far as I
> can remember)..... are you running Norton Antivirus on the PC in question?
>
> If so, in the properties of the printer, in the Advanced tab, set the
> printer to Print Direct to Printer instead of using the Print Spooler
> (center section of the page) and PLEASE let us know your results.
>
> Cari
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Michael W White" <michael.wm.white@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > We have a HP DeskJet 3550 installed on a Windows XP Professional
machine
> > via USB. The DeskJet will print a test page in the administrator
account,
> > but will not print in the limited account.
> > In the limited account, the print cartridge is moving like it is
printing
> > but nothing prints; just a blank page comes out of the printer.
> > I turned off the Simple File Sharing and gave the full permission of
the
> > printer to the limited account. Still, the printer does the same thing.
> > check the control panel of the printer, and the setting appears to be
the
> > same for the administrator and limited accounts.

Anonymous
April 20, 2004 6:02:12 PM

Here is the update on using the printer on another computer.
We installed the DeskJet 3550 on another Windows XP Professional computer.
The printer will print from the limited account but only prints in green
ink.

> We've seen this with XP Home and Limited Users but not in Pro (as far as I
> can remember)..... are you running Norton Antivirus on the PC in question?
>
> If so, in the properties of the printer, in the Advanced tab, set the
> printer to Print Direct to Printer instead of using the Print Spooler
> (center section of the page) and PLEASE let us know your results.
>
> Cari
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Michael W White" <michael.wm.white@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > We have a HP DeskJet 3550 installed on a Windows XP Professional
machine
> > via USB. The DeskJet will print a test page in the administrator
account,
> > but will not print in the limited account.
> > In the limited account, the print cartridge is moving like it is
printing
> > but nothing prints; just a blank page comes out of the printer.
> > I turned off the Simple File Sharing and gave the full permission of
the
> > printer to the limited account. Still, the printer does the same thing.
> > check the control panel of the printer, and the setting appears to be
the
> > same for the administrator and limited accounts.

November 17, 2012 2:49:20 PM

Hello.
Maybe someone find this useful.
After trying almost everything found in forums, I´ve finally solved same problem going to regedit and allowing permissions to everyone in the following keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers
Maybe some of them make no difference.
I identified this keys using Process Monitor from Sysinternals.
More precise permissions will be more secure, but for me thats enough.
Regards.
November 22, 2012 4:17:27 AM

Quote:

We have a HP DeskJet 3550 installed on a Windows XP Professional machine
via USB. The DeskJet will print a test page in the administrator account,
but will not print in the limited account.
In the limited account, the print cartridge is moving like it is printing
but nothing prints; just a blank page comes out of the printer.
I turned off the Simple File Sharing and gave the full permission of the
printer to the limited account. Still, the printer does the same thing. I
check the control panel of the printer, and the setting appears to be the
same for the administrator and limited accounts.
when installing a printer it has no account it printers for all on the com. :)
!