Deskjet 3550 and Limited Account

We have a HP DeskJet 3550 installed on a Windows XP Professional machine
via USB. The DeskJet will print a test page in the administrator account,
but will not print in the limited account.
In the limited account, the print cartridge is moving like it is printing
but nothing prints; just a blank page comes out of the printer.
I turned off the Simple File Sharing and gave the full permission of the
printer to the limited account. Still, the printer does the same thing. I
check the control panel of the printer, and the setting appears to be the
same for the administrator and limited accounts.
6 answers Last reply
More about deskjet 3550 limited account

    We've seen this with XP Home and Limited Users but not in Pro (as far as I
    can remember)..... are you running Norton Antivirus on the PC in question?

    If so, in the properties of the printer, in the Advanced tab, set the
    printer to Print Direct to Printer instead of using the Print Spooler
    (center section of the page) and PLEASE let us know your results.

    Cari
    www.coribright.com

    "Michael W White" <michael.wm.white@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > We have a HP DeskJet 3550 installed on a Windows XP Professional machine
    > via USB. The DeskJet will print a test page in the administrator account,
    > but will not print in the limited account.
    > In the limited account, the print cartridge is moving like it is printing
    > but nothing prints; just a blank page comes out of the printer.
    > I turned off the Simple File Sharing and gave the full permission of the
    > printer to the limited account. Still, the printer does the same thing. I
    > check the control panel of the printer, and the setting appears to be the
    > same for the administrator and limited accounts.

    We are using McAfee Anti-Virus 7.0.
    I did change the configuration of the printer but the problem still
    exists.
    I also exclude the printer folder from the virus scan but that did not
    work.

    > We've seen this with XP Home and Limited Users but not in Pro (as far as I
    > can remember)..... are you running Norton Antivirus on the PC in question?
    >
    > If so, in the properties of the printer, in the Advanced tab, set the
    > printer to Print Direct to Printer instead of using the Print Spooler
    > (center section of the page) and PLEASE let us know your results.
    >
    > Cari
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Michael W White" <michael.wm.white@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > We have a HP DeskJet 3550 installed on a Windows XP Professional
    machine
    > > via USB. The DeskJet will print a test page in the administrator
    account,
    > > but will not print in the limited account.
    > > In the limited account, the print cartridge is moving like it is
    printing
    > > but nothing prints; just a blank page comes out of the printer.
    > > I turned off the Simple File Sharing and gave the full permission of
    the
    > > printer to the limited account. Still, the printer does the same thing.
    > > check the control panel of the printer, and the setting appears to be
    the
    > > same for the administrator and limited accounts.

    We finally replaced the printer with a DeskJet 3650, and it now prints in
    the limited account. I guess there is some incompatibility between the
    printer driver and Windows XP Professional.
    We will know more later when we use the DeskJet 3550 on another Windows XP
    Professional computer.

    > We've seen this with XP Home and Limited Users but not in Pro (as far as I
    > can remember)..... are you running Norton Antivirus on the PC in question?
    >
    > If so, in the properties of the printer, in the Advanced tab, set the
    > printer to Print Direct to Printer instead of using the Print Spooler
    > (center section of the page) and PLEASE let us know your results.
    >
    > Cari
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Michael W White" <michael.wm.white@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > We have a HP DeskJet 3550 installed on a Windows XP Professional
    machine
    > > via USB. The DeskJet will print a test page in the administrator
    account,
    > > but will not print in the limited account.
    > > In the limited account, the print cartridge is moving like it is
    printing
    > > but nothing prints; just a blank page comes out of the printer.
    > > I turned off the Simple File Sharing and gave the full permission of
    the
    > > printer to the limited account. Still, the printer does the same thing.
    > > check the control panel of the printer, and the setting appears to be
    the
    > > same for the administrator and limited accounts.

    Here is the update on using the printer on another computer.
    We installed the DeskJet 3550 on another Windows XP Professional computer.
    The printer will print from the limited account but only prints in green
    ink.

    > We've seen this with XP Home and Limited Users but not in Pro (as far as I
    > can remember)..... are you running Norton Antivirus on the PC in question?
    >
    > If so, in the properties of the printer, in the Advanced tab, set the
    > printer to Print Direct to Printer instead of using the Print Spooler
    > (center section of the page) and PLEASE let us know your results.
    >
    > Cari
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Michael W White" <michael.wm.white@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > We have a HP DeskJet 3550 installed on a Windows XP Professional
    machine
    > > via USB. The DeskJet will print a test page in the administrator
    account,
    > > but will not print in the limited account.
    > > In the limited account, the print cartridge is moving like it is
    printing
    > > but nothing prints; just a blank page comes out of the printer.
    > > I turned off the Simple File Sharing and gave the full permission of
    the
    > > printer to the limited account. Still, the printer does the same thing.
    > > check the control panel of the printer, and the setting appears to be
    the
    > > same for the administrator and limited accounts.

  5. Hello.
    Maybe someone find this useful.
    After trying almost everything found in forums, I´ve finally solved same problem going to regedit and allowing permissions to everyone in the following keys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers
    Maybe some of them make no difference.
    I identified this keys using Process Monitor from Sysinternals.
    More precise permissions will be more secure, but for me thats enough.
    Regards.
  6. Quote:

    We have a HP DeskJet 3550 installed on a Windows XP Professional machine
    via USB. The DeskJet will print a test page in the administrator account,
    but will not print in the limited account.
    In the limited account, the print cartridge is moving like it is printing
    but nothing prints; just a blank page comes out of the printer.
    I turned off the Simple File Sharing and gave the full permission of the
    printer to the limited account. Still, the printer does the same thing. I
    check the control panel of the printer, and the setting appears to be the
    same for the administrator and limited accounts.
    when installing a printer it has no account it printers for all on the com. :)

Deskjet Printers Windows XP