Best Celeron for overclocking

G

Could you please advise which Celeron is best suitable for overclocking? Thanks you.

TheSandman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The cel 600 with the cco stepping seems to be the best. What mobo are you running? The mobo has a large impact on how well you can oc. Though for better performance consider the duron.

SANDMAN

G

I have read the 566 Mhz is better, it nearly always reaches 850 Mhz, but it's difficult to find, it was so easy to overclock Intel doesn't want it to be sold.

G

I'm running Abit BP6. I'd like to run two 533A Celeron, but from the website www.bp6.com it seems that it's not easy at all to run FC-PGA on this board. So I have only one choice that to run PPGA. Please advise what Celeron I should use to reach 600Mhz (X multiplier x Y fsb). Regards.

G

Celeron 533A is a FC-PGA coppermine CPU. It's easy, just use 2 adaptors to run 2 Celeron633 @ 950 (multiplier9.5x100FSB) on your PPGA BP6 to get 2x950=1900Mhz. If your BP6 doesn't support 9.5 just set it at any multiplier, it'll run at 9.5xwhatever bus speed you set. Remember to update to the latest BIOS at www.abit.com.tw.
Go to www.overclockers.com, click "tips & techniques" and "ADAPTORS" to find out more. You might also find someone selling them at EBAY.
Check Intel's web site before you buy your CPUs. http://support.intel.com/support/processors/sspec/p3p.htm
Make sure you get the cC0 stepping.
Good Luck

G

In my country there's no way for me to get the adapter PPGA-FCPGA. Anyway running dual FCPGA in Abit BP6 is still an issue with the board stability. Should think have to keep using PPGA Celeron. Could you advise which PPGA Celeron is the best for overclocking 400, 433 or 466...?

G

I bought the 700 cC0 OEM today.
Till now it is stable at 893, but won't get higher than 88Mhz FSB. Anyway, i'm still trying!
Nevertheless, i think it's a good choice, because the price is almost the same with a 600 or 633.

Something

G

Well, i don't know, but (as far as i know) the motherboard (Abit BE6-II) is one of the best for overclocking.
I suppose it would go up to 900, 950 (if you are lucky), but it depends on the CPU of yours.

The mobo can support the following FSB speeds (in MHZ):
66, 73, 83-200 (increments of 1MHz!). This can all be set up in the BIOS (SoftMenuIII).

When using a mobo with SoftmenuIII (i think every new Abit mobo has SoftMenuIII) you can push your CPU to the limits.

Something

G

I remember having read several reports which say that Celeron II does not support SMP, just look for informantion about it, I don't remember where I read it.

RAZAK

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
I'm currently running the 566 cel fcpga(BOX) overclocked to 850mhz(100 fsb) at 1.65v at 100mhz bus (temp. 33~35 deg C) using thermal compound Dow Corning 340
Motherboard : ASUS CUBX
Ram used: 64 MB Kingston -PC100 & 32MB- PC66 (surprised it can still run)- anyone care to comment (setting 2-2-2-8)
Graphic Card : AGP 32mb Inno3d 256
cooler : global win FOP32 for socket7
Quite surprised able to run stable for about 6 mths already.But Unable to overclocked stably to 875mhz (103 fsb).
Comments welcome! Thanks