Presario 5070

Lindy

Had to install a new hard drive, and when I try to use the restore disk it
starts and then gives an "error101 Not ready reading 0
Abort retry fail
As a result I installed a copy of Win 98 and everything seems to be working
but the modem, I get a yellow ? in device mgr. under PCI serial controller.
Do I need to d/l chipset drivers for this and if so can someone tell me what
mother board this is. Thanks for any help.

Mike

Splendid

lindy wrote:
> Had to install a new hard drive, and when I try to use the restore disk it
> starts and then gives an "error101 Not ready reading 0
> Abort retry fail
> As a result I installed a copy of Win 98 and everything seems to be working
> but the modem, I get a yellow ? in device mgr. under PCI serial controller.
> Do I need to d/l chipset drivers for this and if so can someone tell me what
> mother board this is. Thanks for any help.

This does't answer your question, but I had the same problem with my
Presario 4640 when I put in a new hard drive and Win2k. Someone
suggested a USB modem and it worked great for me. Office Max has been
having them on sale for $29.95 plus a $10 rebate just about every other
week. (V.92) If all else fails this is a cheap and easy solution.

Mike

Lindy ,
you could try belarc advisor available at belarc.com . it lists
hardware and software on your system . if that doesn't give you the
info you need try everest home available at
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/everest.html
hope this helps ,
terry