Best method for closing the L1's

sodium

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
I'm going to overclock my duron 650 as soon as I get my ATX case + power supply. And I wanted to hear a few opinions on what is the best way to close the bridges. What's the best way, pencil? paste? other?
From what I gather it seems most people are just using regular pencils. I assume you use a real sharp pencil and draw or etch in the connection to close the bridge right? So it seems there would still be some ammount of resistance and that it wouldn't make a real strong connection.
I've also heard of ppl using arctic silver to do it. I suppose this would be applied w/ a pin. It seems to me this would make a better connection but be harder to apply without having some spill over onto another one of those tiny little bridges (note: all my bridges are open).
Ok so I'm looking for the best yet still reasonably easy and safe method for doing this. I've never done this before (obviously) so you can't be too explicit. And I would also appreciate any comments about mistakes anybody has made that I should look to avoid or just generally anything else you may think I should know.
Thanks to any and everybody that takes time to help me.

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OK, I believe the pencil trick is the best method for ease of procedure and usefullness. I used a .7mm #2 graphite pencil to close the bridges, but I would recommend smaller. The only reason I would advise against applying things with a pin is that the bridges are so small and so close together that it will be VERY easy to screw it up.
I DO have a story about what not to do. DO NOT connect ALL L1 bridges together, only connect the pairs of connectors to make 4 different bridges, otherwise your computer will fail to post.

If at first you don't succede, skydiving isn't for you.
<font color=blue>Intel Inside</font color=blue> = Idiot Outside