Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading my gaming Pc

Last response: in Video Games
March 22, 2012 6:23:37 PM

Hello,
I really want to upgrade my computer some more to play games such as Skyrim on good settings. With my current specs I've been able to play the new Deus Ex on low settings only.
Im not really to sure what i should upgrade and if I should get a better fan then the one that came with the PC
MY specs are:
Motherboard:Mainboard : Asus CM5570

Processor: Processor : Intel Pentium E5300 @ 2600MHz

Graphics Card:Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

RAM: Physical Memory : 6144MB (3 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )

Hard Drive:Hard Disk : Seagate ST3750528AS ATA Device (750GB)

Operating System: Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Home

Edition Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)

Power Supply: Rocketfish RF-500Wps2 500 watt, asnt sure exactly what to write down

More about : upgrading gaming

March 22, 2012 6:45:30 PM

save for a new build you parts are outdated and adding any more of a gpu to your current system will cause some serious bottlenecks. Id shoot for a z-68/i52500k build, maybe even carry over your 9800gt until you have time to upgrade that.

In short I wouldnt put a dime into the system you got its simple outdated

also you psu is garbage, good luck and happy gaming
m
l
March 22, 2012 7:17:29 PM

Hi :) 

If you cannot afford a new system...then upgrade the graphics card....

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
March 22, 2012 7:19:55 PM

BY new build, you mean new pc enitrely? Sorry I dont really know much about this . If i upgraded the graphics card, to something more new would that be enough for skyrim at least?
m
l
March 22, 2012 9:59:49 PM

jbirkett9 said:
BY new build, you mean new pc enitrely? Sorry I dont really know much about this . If i upgraded the graphics card, to something more new would that be enough for skyrim at least?

Skyrim is a very CPU intensive game, your pentium will not do it. The 9800gt is old, but capable of running the game. Your CPU is the real issue. You need a new motherboard, processor and ram at least. You can probably re-use your psu and case as long the case is at least a mid tower and the PSU is capable of 38 amps on the 12v rail. specs should be on the psu.
m
l
March 22, 2012 11:16:19 PM

yeah but rocketfish PSUs are trash for any decent video card you should upgrade your PSU..

The rocketfish unit the OP has will be lucky to deliver the specs it promises.

It is simply not a reliable PSU manufacturer...

upgrading your gpu only will not do much, you need to save for a new build... even with a new cpu and the 9800gt you could probably play skyrim on low-med settings but without the cpu upgrade your performance is going to be pretty bad if not playable at all imo
m
l
!