Unable to add printer

I have been unable to add any printers to my computers. I have used the Add Printer wizard and am able to follow the sequence right through it, the ports are set up correctly, the current drivers are loaded, but until the very end when I keep getting an error message stating, "Printer Driver was not installed. Operation could not be completed" This happens with 3 different printers that I have on my print server, an HP Laserjet 3200, Epson Stylus C84 and a Brother MFC9700. I was able to successfully install those 3 printers on one of my other networked computers without any problems at all. So I doubt its a network or server problem? However with these computers of different manufacturers they all have the same error message right at the very end of the Add Printer Wizard? I had gone through and cleaned out all instances of any printer software on the computer before running the wizard, in the print server properties, the ports, folders under Windows\System32\Spool\printers, everything I can find short of doing a registry search! Interestingly, I run into the same problem when I try to install the printer by directly connecting it to an individual computer, its as if something is blocking the final installation of the drivers into the system, even though they are copied into the system and everything appears to be where it should...?
3 answers Last reply
More about unable printer

    Two solutions for CORRECT uninstall

    and

    If still no success run a System File Check... from the command prompt, type

    sfc /scannow

    (note space between c and /)

    www.coribright.com

    "marcus" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have been unable to add any printers to my computers. I have used the
    Add Printer wizard and am able to follow the sequence right through it, the
    ports are set up correctly, the current drivers are loaded, but until the
    very end when I keep getting an error message stating, "Printer Driver was
    not installed. Operation could not be completed" This happens with 3
    different printers that I have on my print server, an HP Laserjet 3200,
    Epson Stylus C84 and a Brother MFC9700. I was able to successfully install
    those 3 printers on one of my other networked computers without any problems
    at all. So I doubt its a network or server problem? However with these
    computers of different manufacturers they all have the same error message
    right at the very end of the Add Printer Wizard? I had gone through and
    cleaned out all instances of any printer software on the computer before
    running the wizard, in the print server properties, the ports, folders under
    Windows\System32\Spool\printers, everything I can find short of doing a
    registry search! Interestingly, I run into the same problem when I try to
    install the printer by directly connecting it to an individual computer, its
    as if something is blocking the final installation of the drivers into the
    system, even though they are copied into the system and everything appears
    to be where it should...?

    Could the problem also be with the print spooler? I've disabled everything I can in MSCONFIG to do with WinFax and if I start print spooler then the two printer drivers for WinFax are displayed, if I disable print spooler, then I can't add a new printer? Thanks, Marcus

    I tried the suggestions and that didn't seem to help at all. I still get the same message. I think the problem may be that I have WinFax 10.02 on these computers and somehow its interfering with installation of additional printers, although on one of them I removed Winfax and it still can't install new printers? Thanks, marcus

Computers Error Message Printers Windows XP