Overclocking voids your warranty? Not a chance.

G

There has been a lot of noise about overclocking voiding the manufacturer’s warranty. I am still not sure how that practically happens. Take processors for example. You run your Celeron566 at 850MHz and one sunny day it stops. You take it to you dealer and say: “Mr. Dealer my processor is no longer working, please, give me another one”. The point here is how the dealer and/or the manufacturer recognizes and more importantly proves that your processor burned because of overclocking or it was simply a defective part. You have similar situation with video-cards, memory or complete systems.
I personally had burned processor and memory replaced by my dealer. They could have been suspicious about what caused the defect but there was no way they would refuse my warranty call because they did not have any evidence.

Does anybody have similar experience?

Bobi

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i think that the warranty deal relies more on an honor system in some cases. if everyone was as dishonest as you, we would have to pay twice as much for our computer stuff. THANKS FOR RIPPING US HONEST FOLK OFF PAL!!!!!!!!!

If at first you don't succede, skydiving isn't for you.
<font color=blue>Intel Inside</font color=blue> = Idiot Outside

mpjesse

Splendid
Yeah- I agree with that last dude Antipop- the honor system. If you blow a CPU from overclocking- it's pretty low to go and try to renig the warranty. Be honest cause in the long run your only hurting yourself.

-MP Jesse

G

Well, I disagree with you. When I'm older and finish my studies and get a job, I will be able to waste my money, and I will burn processors just for the joy of burning them, but there are many people that overclock and don't have too much money. They overclock because they may not be able to afford a more expensive processor. So if you want to save money, regardless of moral, that is surely an option. If my Voodoo 3 got burnt, I would remove the back heatsink, remove the Superglue and thermal paste from the back, clean it, then remove the front heatsink and fan, clean everything, remove ramsinks and then glue the original heatsink and go to the shop and say: "I was typing my word document when suddenly the text on my screen got screwed up, and a friend of mine who knows a lot about computers told me it surely was the graphics card, he helped me to remove it and here it comes". Think whatever you want.

mpjesse

Splendid
Put yourself in the place of the vendor who has to pay shipping charges to get a new one for you, deal with getting it replaced, and apologize for something TOTALLY not his fault. Perspective my friend =)

-MP Jesse

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
juammi, you dont have to overclock your hardware. if you cant live with slower performance then overclock AT YOUR OWN EXPENSE not ours. if you simply cant afford it, thats tough, im sorry but thats the way life works

If at first you don't succede, skydiving isn't for you.
<font color=blue>Intel Inside</font color=blue> = Idiot Outside

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It cost Intel what, 5 or 6 dollars to produce a PIII (manufacturing cost only) If I already paid for one, which means I paid my share for developement, advertising expenses, etc., and I burn out a CPU, it only cost them manufacturing cost to give me another. I buy RETAIL in order to assure I can deal directly with the factory, so no middlemen get the shaft. And as much as Intel charges they just out to be able to give me a $6 replacement.

Suicide is painless...........

G

My two cents:

Regardless of how you justify it, it's still dishonest, even if it cost one-cent to make. I personally think it's pretty sad as someone's willingness to cheat if he/she can get away with it, is part of who that person is. And this will certainly apply to other parts of that person's life. How do you trust someone like that?

Mike

icEDragon

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
I think something in-between would be suitable: If I o/c the CPU soldering around, replacing the heatsink or whatever mechanical and then burn it up - it's going to be at my cost, even if I could remove the "evidence".
But if I only make "soft" changes, e.g. using the BIOS or any jumpers, if the CPU gets fried - I would certainly bring it back to the store requesting another. I think selling CPUs or graphic cards with no thermical headroom at all is IMHO as questionable as using product warranty to get hard overclocked items replaced.

"Keep calm, quite and collected - and things will go alright"
IceDrag

G

Oh yes!!! I'm really evil. You cannot trust me, hate me, insult me for what I am. I don't deserve my life.

G

you wanna know what dishonest is? Dishonet is when you make a .18 micron thick bunch of sand, then limit the potential of your bucket of condensed sand to only reach a certin amount of these "mega-herts", in short without us the "people" we are "ripping off" are not people but faceless entities, and shouldn't be selling us sand for 100 a pop.

TheSandman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The bottom line is that cpu warrenties are on the honer system and you are on one side or the other. We have heard both sides of this and I dont believe that any are going to change any time soon.

SANDMAN

G

tell it like it is!!!!!!
i agree with you totally
you push it till it breaks. fess up and accept the lesson!
why should we support you cause you broke somthing hoping that it would be more than what you paid for?
i have killed more than i can afford. and just learned to be more cautious next time. doesnt last long but i don't ask anybody to subsidise my foolishness either!.