Sharing a printer on wireless network - problems!

donnie

Hi

I have read several posts of similar problems including one from Cari and
also referred to the article at the following site.
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030619.shtml - all without any
luck. I have a laptop running XP Pro that has a printer attached. I want
to share that printer with my husband's laptop running ME. When I go to
properties, share printer, and then add the drivers for ME , even though I
have extracted the ME drivers into a temp folder and point to those drivers,
I get the message that there is no driver for the requested environment at
that location. I can see the autorun.inf file when I do a search but the
wizard isn't recognizing it evidently. How do I solve this problem so I can
share the printer?

Thanks for any help in advance, this is most frustrating and I have been
trying to resolve this for weeks.

Regards,

Add the drivers to the XP PC under the additional drivers section.... it's
not autorun.inf you're looking for but something .inf that looks like the
name of the printer you have. Since you don't tell us, I can't download a
similar set and check which file you should be looking for.

www.coribright.com

"Donnie" <ymivey@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have read several posts of similar problems including one from Cari and
> also referred to the article at the following site.
> http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030619.shtml - all without any
> luck. I have a laptop running XP Pro that has a printer attached. I want
> to share that printer with my husband's laptop running ME. When I go to
> properties, share printer, and then add the drivers for ME , even though I
> have extracted the ME drivers into a temp folder and point to those
drivers,
> I get the message that there is no driver for the requested environment at
> that location. I can see the autorun.inf file when I do a search but the
> wizard isn't recognizing it evidently. How do I solve this problem so I
can
> share the printer?
>
> Thanks for any help in advance, this is most frustrating and I have been
> trying to resolve this for weeks.
>
> Regards,

donnie

Hi Cari,

Thanks so much for replying - The Printer is an HP R80 (All in one).

"Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
> Add the drivers to the XP PC under the additional drivers section.... it's
> not autorun.inf you're looking for but something .inf that looks like the
> name of the printer you have. Since you don't tell us, I can't download a
> similar set and check which file you should be looking for.

> www.coribright.com
>
> "Donnie" <ymivey@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I have read several posts of similar problems including one from Cari
and
> > also referred to the article at the following site.
> > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030619.shtml - all without
any
> > luck. I have a laptop running XP Pro that has a printer attached. I
want
> > to share that printer with my husband's laptop running ME. When I go to
> > properties, share printer, and then add the drivers for ME , even though
> > have extracted the ME drivers into a temp folder and point to those
> drivers,
> > I get the message that there is no driver for the requested environment
at
> > that location. I can see the autorun.inf file when I do a search but
the
> > wizard isn't recognizing it evidently. How do I solve this problem so I
> can
> > share the printer?
> >
> > Thanks for any help in advance, this is most frustrating and I have been
> > trying to resolve this for weeks.
> >
> > Regards,

donnie

Sorry I hit the reply button too soon on the last response. I have been
trying to add the drivers to the XP PC under the additional drivers section
but that is when I get the message that there is no driver for the requested
environment at the location where I extracted the ME driver to.

Thanks for your help in advance.

"Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
> Add the drivers to the XP PC under the additional drivers section.... it's
> not autorun.inf you're looking for but something .inf that looks like the
> name of the printer you have. Since you don't tell us, I can't download a
> similar set and check which file you should be looking for.

> www.coribright.com
>
> "Donnie" <ymivey@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > I have read several posts of similar problems including one from Cari
and
> > also referred to the article at the following site.
> > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030619.shtml - all without
any
> > luck. I have a laptop running XP Pro that has a printer attached. I
want
> > to share that printer with my husband's laptop running ME. When I go to
> > properties, share printer, and then add the drivers for ME , even though
> > have extracted the ME drivers into a temp folder and point to those
> drivers,
> > I get the message that there is no driver for the requested environment
at
> > that location. I can see the autorun.inf file when I do a search but
the
> > wizard isn't recognizing it evidently. How do I solve this problem so I
> can
> > share the printer?
> >
> > Thanks for any help in advance, this is most frustrating and I have been
> > trying to resolve this for weeks.
> >
> > Regards,

Unfortunately, not all printer manufacturer's are packaging drivers for all
printers so that they can be installed as "Additional Drivers".

However, the information at
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterNoPP.htm might be a way around
your problem.

See also
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?reg=&plc=&lc=en&cc=us&prodId=hpofficeje10471&docName=bpu01370&cat=solve,

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?reg=&plc=&lc=en&cc=us&cat=faq&prodId=hpofficeje10471&docName=bpu01863.html
and
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?reg=&plc=&lc=en&cc=us&cat=faq&prodId=hpofficeje10471&docName=bpu01215.html

This last article includes this statement:

"HP all-in-ones products require bi-directional communication so that the
product can send information to the computer and receive information from
the computer."

The implication is that at least some capablilities of the device will not
be available over the network. Network printing is always one direction -
from the client to the print server - there is no possibility of two way
communication with the device from the client. With devices like this,
sometimes printing will work and sometimes not, although the first HP
article implies that you should be able to print to the R80 over the
network.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing

> Sorry I hit the reply button too soon on the last response. I have been
> trying to add the drivers to the XP PC under the additional drivers
> section
> but that is when I get the message that there is no driver for the
> requested
> environment at the location where I extracted the ME driver to.
>
> Thanks for your help in advance.
>

> "Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>> Add the drivers to the XP PC under the additional drivers section....
>> it's
>> not autorun.inf you're looking for but something .inf that looks like the
>> name of the printer you have. Since you don't tell us, I can't download
>> similar set and check which file you should be looking for.
>>

>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
>> www.coribright.com
>>
>> "Donnie" <ymivey@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I have read several posts of similar problems including one from Cari
> and
>> > also referred to the article at the following site.
>> > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030619.shtml - all without
> any
>> > luck. I have a laptop running XP Pro that has a printer attached. I
> want
>> > to share that printer with my husband's laptop running ME. When I go
>> > properties, share printer, and then add the drivers for ME , even
>> > though
>> > have extracted the ME drivers into a temp folder and point to those
>> drivers,
>> > I get the message that there is no driver for the requested environment
> at
>> > that location. I can see the autorun.inf file when I do a search but
> the
>> > wizard isn't recognizing it evidently. How do I solve this problem so
>> can
>> > share the printer?
>> >
>> > Thanks for any help in advance, this is most frustrating and I have
>> > been
>> > trying to resolve this for weeks.
>> >
>> > Regards,

donnie

Thanks for your reply Bruce. I tried the info at the first link but forgive
my ignorance I am not sure how to come up with the name of the print server
and the printer name. My network is a Microsoft wireless network that is
called Mshome - is that the name of the print server, or is it the name of
my PC? I have tried both and get an error message that the network cannot be
found. I used the name of the printer as the second part of the string.
Nothing seems to work.

Regards,