Sharing a printer on wireless network - problems!

Hi

I have read several posts of similar problems including one from Cari and
also referred to the article at the following site.
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030619.shtml - all without any
luck. I have a laptop running XP Pro that has a printer attached. I want
to share that printer with my husband's laptop running ME. When I go to
properties, share printer, and then add the drivers for ME , even though I
have extracted the ME drivers into a temp folder and point to those drivers,
I get the message that there is no driver for the requested environment at
that location. I can see the autorun.inf file when I do a search but the
wizard isn't recognizing it evidently. How do I solve this problem so I can
share the printer?

Thanks for any help in advance, this is most frustrating and I have been
trying to resolve this for weeks.

Regards,
5 answers Last reply
More about sharing printer wireless network problems

    Add the drivers to the XP PC under the additional drivers section.... it's
    not autorun.inf you're looking for but something .inf that looks like the
    name of the printer you have. Since you don't tell us, I can't download a
    similar set and check which file you should be looking for.

    www.coribright.com

    "Donnie" <ymivey@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have read several posts of similar problems including one from Cari and
    > also referred to the article at the following site.
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030619.shtml - all without any
    > luck. I have a laptop running XP Pro that has a printer attached. I want
    > to share that printer with my husband's laptop running ME. When I go to
    > properties, share printer, and then add the drivers for ME , even though I
    > have extracted the ME drivers into a temp folder and point to those
    drivers,
    > I get the message that there is no driver for the requested environment at
    > that location. I can see the autorun.inf file when I do a search but the
    > wizard isn't recognizing it evidently. How do I solve this problem so I
    can
    > share the printer?
    >
    > Thanks for any help in advance, this is most frustrating and I have been
    > trying to resolve this for weeks.
    >
    > Regards,

    Hi Cari,

    Thanks so much for replying - The Printer is an HP R80 (All in one).

    "Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    > Add the drivers to the XP PC under the additional drivers section.... it's
    > not autorun.inf you're looking for but something .inf that looks like the
    > name of the printer you have. Since you don't tell us, I can't download a
    > similar set and check which file you should be looking for.

    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Donnie" <ymivey@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I have read several posts of similar problems including one from Cari
    and
    > > also referred to the article at the following site.
    > > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030619.shtml - all without
    any
    > > luck. I have a laptop running XP Pro that has a printer attached. I
    want
    > > to share that printer with my husband's laptop running ME. When I go to
    > > properties, share printer, and then add the drivers for ME , even though
    > > have extracted the ME drivers into a temp folder and point to those
    > drivers,
    > > I get the message that there is no driver for the requested environment
    at
    > > that location. I can see the autorun.inf file when I do a search but
    the
    > > wizard isn't recognizing it evidently. How do I solve this problem so I
    > can
    > > share the printer?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help in advance, this is most frustrating and I have been
    > > trying to resolve this for weeks.
    > >
    > > Regards,

    Sorry I hit the reply button too soon on the last response. I have been
    trying to add the drivers to the XP PC under the additional drivers section
    but that is when I get the message that there is no driver for the requested
    environment at the location where I extracted the ME driver to.

    Thanks for your help in advance.

    "Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    > Add the drivers to the XP PC under the additional drivers section.... it's
    > not autorun.inf you're looking for but something .inf that looks like the
    > name of the printer you have. Since you don't tell us, I can't download a
    > similar set and check which file you should be looking for.

    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Donnie" <ymivey@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I have read several posts of similar problems including one from Cari
    and
    > > also referred to the article at the following site.
    > > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030619.shtml - all without
    any
    > > luck. I have a laptop running XP Pro that has a printer attached. I
    want
    > > to share that printer with my husband's laptop running ME. When I go to
    > > properties, share printer, and then add the drivers for ME , even though
    > > have extracted the ME drivers into a temp folder and point to those
    > drivers,
    > > I get the message that there is no driver for the requested environment
    at
    > > that location. I can see the autorun.inf file when I do a search but
    the
    > > wizard isn't recognizing it evidently. How do I solve this problem so I
    > can
    > > share the printer?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help in advance, this is most frustrating and I have been
    > > trying to resolve this for weeks.
    > >
    > > Regards,

    Unfortunately, not all printer manufacturer's are packaging drivers for all
    printers so that they can be installed as "Additional Drivers".

    However, the information at
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterNoPP.htm might be a way around
    your problem.

    See also
    http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?reg=&plc=&lc=en&cc=us&prodId=hpofficeje10471&docName=bpu01370&cat=solve,

    http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?reg=&plc=&lc=en&cc=us&cat=faq&prodId=hpofficeje10471&docName=bpu01863.html
    and
    http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?reg=&plc=&lc=en&cc=us&cat=faq&prodId=hpofficeje10471&docName=bpu01215.html

    This last article includes this statement:

    "HP all-in-ones products require bi-directional communication so that the
    product can send information to the computer and receive information from
    the computer."

    The implication is that at least some capablilities of the device will not
    be available over the network. Network printing is always one direction -
    from the client to the print server - there is no possibility of two way
    communication with the device from the client. With devices like this,
    sometimes printing will work and sometimes not, although the first HP
    article implies that you should be able to print to the R80 over the
    network.

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing

    > Sorry I hit the reply button too soon on the last response. I have been
    > trying to add the drivers to the XP PC under the additional drivers
    > section
    > but that is when I get the message that there is no driver for the
    > requested
    > environment at the location where I extracted the ME driver to.
    >
    > Thanks for your help in advance.
    >

    > "Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    >> Add the drivers to the XP PC under the additional drivers section....
    >> it's
    >> not autorun.inf you're looking for but something .inf that looks like the
    >> name of the printer you have. Since you don't tell us, I can't download
    >> similar set and check which file you should be looking for.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    >> www.coribright.com
    >>
    >> "Donnie" <ymivey@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi
    >> >
    >> > I have read several posts of similar problems including one from Cari
    > and
    >> > also referred to the article at the following site.
    >> > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/qa/qa20030619.shtml - all without
    > any
    >> > luck. I have a laptop running XP Pro that has a printer attached. I
    > want
    >> > to share that printer with my husband's laptop running ME. When I go
    >> > properties, share printer, and then add the drivers for ME , even
    >> > though
    >> > have extracted the ME drivers into a temp folder and point to those
    >> drivers,
    >> > I get the message that there is no driver for the requested environment
    > at
    >> > that location. I can see the autorun.inf file when I do a search but
    > the
    >> > wizard isn't recognizing it evidently. How do I solve this problem so
    >> can
    >> > share the printer?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for any help in advance, this is most frustrating and I have
    >> > been
    >> > trying to resolve this for weeks.
    >> >
    >> > Regards,

    Thanks for your reply Bruce. I tried the info at the first link but forgive
    my ignorance I am not sure how to come up with the name of the print server
    and the printer name. My network is a Microsoft wireless network that is
    called Mshome - is that the name of the print server, or is it the name of
    my PC? I have tried both and get an error message that the network cannot be
    found. I used the name of the printer as the second part of the string.
    Nothing seems to work.

    Regards,

    "Bruce Sanderson" <bsanders@junk.junk> wrote in message
    > Unfortunately, not all printer manufacturer's are packaging drivers for
    all
    > printers so that they can be installed as "Additional Drivers".
    >
    > However, the information at
    > http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterNoPP.htm might be a way around
    > your problem.
    >
    > See also

    http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?reg=&plc=&lc=en&cc=us&prodId=hpofficeje10471&docName=bpu01370&cat=solve,

    http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?reg=&plc=&lc=en&cc=us&cat=faq&prodId=hpofficeje10471&docName=bpu01863.html
    > and

    http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?reg=&plc=&lc=en&cc=us&cat=faq&prodId=hpofficeje10471&docName=bpu01215.html

    > This last article includes this statement:
    >
    > "HP all-in-ones products require bi-directional communication so that the
    > product can send information to the computer and receive information from
    > the computer."
    >
    > The implication is that at least some capablilities of the device will not
    > be available over the network. Network printing is always one direction -
    > from the client to the print server - there is no possibility of two way
    > communication with the device from the client. With devices like this,
    > sometimes printing will work and sometimes not, although the first HP
    > article implies that you should be able to print to the R80 over the
    > network.
    >
    > --
    > Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
    >
    > It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.
    >

    > "Donnie" <ymivey@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Sorry I hit the reply button too soon on the last response. I have been
    > > trying to add the drivers to the XP PC under the additional drivers
    > > section
    > > but that is when I get the message that there is no driver for the
    > > requested
    > > environment at the location where I extracted the ME driver to.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help in advance.
    > >

    > > "Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    > >> Add the drivers to the XP PC under the additional drivers section....
    > >> it's
    > >> not autorun.inf you're looking for but something .inf that looks like
    the
    > >> name of the printer you have. Since you don't tell us, I can't
    download
    > >> similar set and check which file you should be looking for.
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
    > >> www.coribright.com
    > >>
    > >> "Donnie" <ymivey@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > > and
    > > any
    > > want
    > >> drivers,
    > > at
    > > the
    > >> can

Wireless Network Drivers Printers Windows XP