Tags:
  • Hitachi
  • Hard Drives
Last response: in News comments
December 17, 2010 8:53:43 PM

yo drive is so fat, when it hauls ass..., it takes two trips
Score
December 17, 2010 9:16:02 PM

I want to get 8 of these 500GB laptop drives and RAID6 them together. That's a fast 3TB array. I'd love to have that for my main storage.
Score
Related resources
December 17, 2010 9:34:41 PM

dgingeriI want to get 8 of these 500GB laptop drives and RAID6 them together. That's a fast 3TB array. I'd love to have that for my main storage.

Ever heard of an SSD?
Score
December 17, 2010 9:40:01 PM

A single SSD might even be faster, but if it brakes down, it's down. And how much would a 3 tb ssd cost anyway ?
Score
December 17, 2010 9:40:29 PM

Not as fast as SSD... but the amount of storage is a lot more. But 2.5
" drives are not made for massive RAID... 4 2TB drives would cost less and have better performance than these 2.5" drives with far more storage space.

Score
December 17, 2010 9:45:09 PM

4tb might last me a year tops before I am out of space again.
Score
December 17, 2010 10:01:36 PM

dgingeriI want to get 8 of these 500GB laptop drives and RAID6 them together. That's a fast 3TB array. I'd love to have that for my main storage.

They're only 5400 RPM drives though.
Score
December 17, 2010 10:02:18 PM

apache_livesEver heard of an SSD?

I don't even want to think about how much it would cost for that much storage in SSD form!
Score
December 17, 2010 10:33:28 PM

Sorry I do not trust Hitachi drives even it was given to me for free. They may lead the way for new technologies but when it comes to relibablity I don't trust them.

Darkk
Score
December 17, 2010 10:38:50 PM

aaron88_7I don't even want to think about how much it would cost for that much storage in SSD form!

I think 1TB alone cost's $3000 USD!
Score
December 17, 2010 10:41:28 PM

There have been drives with up to 10 platters before. I had a pair in a RAID 1 array (IBM Ultrastar 36ZX). With 10 platters the heat and the 10TB of space would both be ridiculous.
Score
December 17, 2010 10:48:48 PM

aaron88_7I don't even want to think about how much it would cost for that much storage in SSD form!

You could probably buy a Prius for the same price.

Really, I don't even want to think about Read/Write times on such a large drive. Heaven forbid I format the whole thing, I think my PSU would explode halfway through the process, which might take a week just for that.
Score
December 17, 2010 11:23:17 PM

This is getting annoying. How about let's stop with the creative headlines? This announcement is about some dinky 2.5" drives a tenth that size so why is the headline something completely different? Besides, it is naive to perform a simple extrapolation of a 1 platter 2.5" drive to figure the capacity of a multi-platter 3.5". There are mechanical, chemical, electrical, cost, scheduling, and numerous other factors that impact the areal density you aren't considering at all. Please let the hard drive guys work out and at least preview their technology instead of headlining speculation.
Score
December 17, 2010 11:24:23 PM

Why RAID 6, you afraid you'll lose 2 at once? Do a RAID 5 and have 3.5TB
Score
December 17, 2010 11:56:12 PM

apache_livesEver heard of an SSD?

Ever heard of high capacity, affordable drives?
Score
December 18, 2010 1:09:28 AM

High capacity, faster access, low profile, USB powered, reliable and affordable? - What else do we want?

Maybe it become a standard to put an OS and program files to a SSD and storage files to a HDD.
Score
December 18, 2010 1:58:04 PM

How about killing off BIOS so we can boot off of one of these...although, short stroking a 5TB drive sounds like it would work nicely. Give yourself 1TB and you might get close to SSD performance!
Score
December 18, 2010 2:00:31 PM

Ahh, I remember the days of Windows 95 when I used to run all my programs off a single 3GB hard drive and we did our homework using Encarta Encyclopedia instead of the internet :) 
Score
December 18, 2010 3:01:39 PM

3gb was huge at the win95 times! I remember my epic Pentium 1 75mhz computer!!! such power! then afterwards I remember getting a custom built 700mhz Pentium 3 with MMX Technology!! yea!!! and then I got like some 1.6mhz or somethin and on Windows ME...BLEH!
Score
December 18, 2010 3:11:00 PM

never tried Hitachi drives before. maybe i'll give the Travelstar a try for my next external backup drive.
Score
December 18, 2010 3:17:41 PM

500MB * 8 = 4TB

But I could be wrong

fayzaan3gb was huge at the win95 times! I remember my epic Pentium 1 75mhz computer!!! such power! then afterwards I remember getting a custom built 700mhz Pentium 3 with MMX Technology!! yea!!! and then I got like some 1.6mhz or somethin and on Windows ME...BLEH!

Dont you mean 300mb, and I also used encarta but 3GB sound more like windows 98 or 2000

But I could be wrong
Score
December 18, 2010 3:19:21 PM

DarkkSorry I do not trust Hitachi drives even it was given to me for free. They may lead the way for new technologies but when it comes to relibablity I don't trust them.Darkk

Drive failures are a way of life with spinning platter hard drives, just because you had a bad experience with one doesn't mean Hitachi has quality issues. Mine lasted 5 years and would still be going strong if I didn't need more space.

I don't know of any hard drive manufacturer that is immune from a hard drive failure, happens to the best of them, that's what RAID 1 is for.
Score
December 18, 2010 3:41:59 PM

LMF5000Ahh, I remember the days of Windows 95 when I used to run all my programs off a single 3GB hard drive and we did our homework using Encarta Encyclopedia instead of the internet
My first machine was an 8086 with two 360Kb floppies and a hercules monochrome monitor running DOS 3.1. It ran Deskview for multitasking spreadsheets, word processing, and Nutshell database and it was hooked to a wireless receiver for real time stock quoations. It was not networked to anything. It got my work done and ran Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Simulator, a wire frame flying sim. The clicker keyboard had no equal since that day. My first HD was 65 MB, divided into two logical drives, a vast warehouse of software and data, a dream come true.
Score
December 18, 2010 6:55:03 PM

aaron88_7Drive failures are a way of life with spinning platter hard drives, just because you had a bad experience with one doesn't mean Hitachi has quality issues. Mine lasted 5 years and would still be going strong if I didn't need more space.I don't know of any hard drive manufacturer that is immune from a hard drive failure, happens to the best of them, that's what RAID 1 is for.

Several drive issues with one manufacturer does point to crap quality. I don't buy Hitachie or Maxtor drives because they aren't well made. You can only take so many DOA drives before you blacklist a company. I'm rockin' WD Blacks now, everything running just fine.
Score
December 18, 2010 8:37:23 PM

4~5TB...wonder how long that will take to reach shelves? I'd get one though :)  need a LOT of storage now...
Score
December 18, 2010 11:14:10 PM

I haven't filled up my 500GB WD Caviar Black. I really don't know what a regular consumer would do with a 4TB HDD.
Score
December 19, 2010 2:29:46 AM

The last time I checked WD owns Maxtor. Correct me if i'm wrong please. Like the other guy said, all HDD manufactures have had some bad apples. Hitchi and Seagate are the only one's that have never died on me, also none of my Intel SSD drives even give a hiccup.
What amazes me is that people will spend thousands of dollars building a system and bitch about $300.00 to 400.00 SSD prices. You gotta pay to play!
Score
December 19, 2010 3:10:33 AM

toughbookThe last time I checked WD owns Maxtor. Correct me if i'm wrong please. Like the other guy said, all HDD manufactures have had some bad apples. Hitchi and Seagate are the only one's that have never died on me, also none of my Intel SSD drives even give a hiccup. What amazes me is that people will spend thousands of dollars building a system and bitch about $300.00 to 400.00 SSD prices. You gotta pay to play!

Its actually Seagate that owns Maxtor.
Score
December 19, 2010 6:28:22 AM

Still doesn't make it true pocket. Look at all hard drives on newegg or tigerdirect. Find one with a good amount of reviews, and tell me when you found a 5egg/star one. I have yet to see one. There usually 4 star because of DOA or dieing quickly.
Score
Anonymous
December 19, 2010 7:31:53 PM

The fact that this drive crams 500GB on one platter is one thing. But until a larger and real product is market ready.... this article is more just fan cheering.
Score
December 20, 2010 11:30:06 AM

pocketdrummerSeveral drive issues with one manufacturer does point to crap quality. I don't buy Hitachie or Maxtor drives because they aren't well made. You can only take so many DOA drives before you blacklist a company. I'm rockin' WD Blacks now, everything running just fine.

I think one if not the worst HDD batch of all times were the 40GB Maxtor.
Score
December 20, 2010 11:32:06 AM

doomsdaydave11I haven't filled up my 500GB WD Caviar Black. I really don't know what a regular consumer would do with a 4TB HDD.

Well my 6TB JBOD array is almost full. Dont you rip rental movies (DVDs and some BRs) like a regular consumer?
Score
December 20, 2010 12:21:30 PM

Fcsk these drives... spinning discs, esp 5400rpm is pure technological metering reaching it's MAX potential. Do you know how long it takes to perform any kind of physical scan, repair, defrag of these slow behemoths? My 2GB drive is the FASTEST near-line model you can get, and it takes FOREVER to accomplish said tasks. When an SSD would just destroy it all together. I'm sorry, but as much as I love cheaper space; using these drives in a practical and overall manner is just beyond realistic technological limits of mechanics.

Aka mechanical drives are the dinosaur; nobody's told the greedy, metered HD-technology industry yet! These are at best CCTV/slow access, high storage applicable ONLY. Even then, if there's drive/OS maintenance involved = mud slow!!!

People stop buying 5xxx Rpm crap! 10,000RPM 500GB-1TB-2TB HDs should have LONG been out before SSDs. Nope the greedy old-boy industry over shot their mark and now they are scrambling to keep pace with new-blood SSD firms. HAha lets offer the public slower drives and call them "green." How fscking ironic!
Score
December 20, 2010 12:21:52 PM

Fcsk these drives... spinning discs, esp 5400rpm is pure technological metering reaching it's MAX potential. Do you know how long it takes to perform any kind of physical scan, repair, defrag of these slow behemoths? My 2GB drive is the FASTEST near-line model you can get, and it takes FOREVER to accomplish said tasks. When an SSD would just destroy it all together. I'm sorry, but as much as I love cheaper space; using these drives in a practical and overall manner is just beyond realistic technological limits of mechanics.

Aka mechanical drives are the dinosaur; nobody's told the greedy, metered HD-technology industry yet! These are at best CCTV/slow access, high storage applicable ONLY. Even then, if there's drive/OS maintenance involved = mud slow!!!

People stop buying 5xxx Rpm crap! 10,000RPM 500GB-1TB-2TB HDs should have LONG been out before SSDs. Nope the greedy old-boy industry over shot their mark and now they are scrambling to keep pace with new-blood SSD firms. HAha lets offer the public slower drives and call them "green." How fscking ironic!
Score
December 20, 2010 12:22:29 PM

ack the double post! My apologies.
Score
December 20, 2010 2:30:14 PM

I can't even fill a 500GB hard drive...
I really don't think I need 5TB.
Score
December 21, 2010 10:07:15 PM

Magnetic drives aren't dead, yet!
Score
December 23, 2010 1:18:10 AM

I surely wish they would! Mechanical drives have reached the practical limits of mechanical technology. If you'll search, these new(er) drives have a failure rate HIGHER than the older models of years past. There's more bad sectors, more DOAs, more sudden failures, more firmware (eg., Seagate! haha) snafu's, and a myriad of other issues.

There's no NEED for mechanical drive advancement any longer, the real reason is corporate greed. They constantly push to keep these dinosaur drives rolling out until they can eventually switch over to SSD. The problem is the regular players; Hitachi, Samsung, WD, Seagate, Crapstor etc... are ALL behind the newer SSD upstarts BECAUSE of said greed. So while SSD manu's are flying ahead with research and production, the dinosaurs are scrambling to either buy them out or make their own fabs. They figured that SSD was so far off, that it wouldn't matter, so said the hare. Meanwhile the tortoise SSD idealists were slowly and steadily gaining ground. Again referring to my post above, notice the technological gap and illogical jump from 7200 to SSD. Why isn’t there 10Krpm mass storage drives out? Why aren't there plans for this? Suddenly SSDs just show up? WRONG, SSDs have been around for a long time (5yrs+). Instead of trying to combat this with 10Krpm, hybrid .5-1-2TB drives, greedy WD metered out raptors thinking that nothing would ever surpass them on the pro-consumer drive level. Then (lmfao) Seagate tries to invade the market with some POS half-arsed "hybrid" that's not even worth investing in Vs SSD. Unless you NEED a 500GB laptop drive, it's pointless to even invest in the Momentus-XT. TOO BAD idiot Seagate hadn't released this thing 3yrs ago. Then maybe other manu's would have followed suit and pushed the technology to the edge. This would have bridged the gap between 7200/Raptors and SSD. We COULD have had a variable speed 5400-10000rpm, hybrid drives, in the .5-1-2TB+ category. TOO LATE NOW. SSD is the future and any other technological investment in mechanical drives is a HUGE RISK and not worth the gamble. They know it; I know it; now you know it...
__Even the near-line drives cannot match a slower SSD; overt greed is the logical reason, folks. Now making 10Krpm 2-3TB drives isn't practical bc they'd have to completely change their fab process, materials and supply contracts etc... They are LOCKED into their own technological trappings. Hahah! (Major suckage for us too!)

Mechanical drives these days are way overpriced, and are flat out UNRELIABLE. Notice none of these manufacturers will release reliability statistics either. They say "it's bc of competition and the need to maintain company technological secrets,” or to keep an “edge." Bollucks! The AUTO industry is 100x more competitive, more technological, more on the cutting edge, and they are ALL REQUIRED to release said info.

Bah forget it... you grubs don't get it and will continually buy this "green" under-performing, backwards "technological" crap. You see, consumers as a whole are ignorant, impulsive idiots, with no individual power. Consumers have COLLECTIVE power, but since most people are of said ignorance, they’ll continue to support said junk technology by continually buying this crap Vs speaking with their dollars and NOT buying. Taking 10minutes to write a simple email explaining why they chose NOT to buy… By not voicing your concerns, you automatically tell the industry, “yes keep making this crap, bc we’ll keep buying it; you’ll get richer!” People are dumbed-down, ignorant and caught in learned-helplessness. WHY? All you have to do is TELL THEM WTF you want. I write emails to these greedy Neanderthals all the time! They read them, ignore them and mock this 1 little ant. Too bad none of my other comrades aren’t smart and motivated enough to follow suit; they cannot ignore 10000s of consumers!

Enjoy... I'll stick with 7200rpm near-line drives, which at least have 5yr warranties and are designed how consumer drives ought to be. Soon SSD will take over and this rant will be meaningless; I can’t wait, and neither can you huh? HA!
Score
!