overclocking a gateway

G

No one likes a gateway or any other OEM machine for that matter. but the question I have is how do I disable the "automatic CPU dection" Is there a universial way or does it very from board to board?

TheSandman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If it is an intel CPU you could us softfsb by H. Ohda but if it is an Amd CPU you need to us the L1 and L7 bridges on the cpu to set the multiplyer and vcore.

SANDMAN

G

I will asume that P3 have a multiplier lock like the celeron counterparts.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, the only way to overclock it is to raise the bus speed with a software program like softFSB, or maybe use a bios hacking program (NOT recommended)!

Suicide is painless...........

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I overclocked my Gateway (266 to 300) by just changing the jumpers on the motherboard.
It was a PII266 and I was looking at the lame manual Gateway supplied with the motherboard, saw the jumper setting for 300 and gave it a try. That was 2 years ago and the computer is still going strong.
I found the setting for 333Mhz on Intel’s website but I think I needed to upgrade the Bios for it to work. Unfortunately Gateway didn’t bother to come out with an upgrade.(why should they, they don’t sell that Mobo anymore) I even tried to flash it with the American megatrends bios but it detects the Gateway bios and give a message like “this is a Gateway , go to gateway and get it, we don’t support it”. Even thou it’s the same Mobo.

Dose that mean my PII was unlocked?

Thx & Cya

G

I would assume that your proc was made before intel decided to limit the ability of its procs. I O/C'd a 166 mmx to 200, by moveing the jumper for the mulitiplyer, that was as high as the board went, in the situation I am in now I belive I am screwed as far as my P3 goes but if I get my hands on a slocket converter I my throw my 633 celeron in it and run it at 100 buss speed. correct me if I am wrong but a P3 450 runs 100X4.5 instead of 66X6/7.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Gateway doesnt make the motherboard. i work in a Gateway country store. I think the only company that make there own motherboards are IBM.

Cel 533 - 256mb sdram
15gb HD - ati radeon 32mb ddr (200/200)
SB live! mp3+ - win98 Beos

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Intel used to make most of Gateway's boards, but I think these days they get them from at least 3 companies that manufacture boards similar to Intel OEM boards. Tom mentioned something about getting a Slot 1 P3 to run at 133, using the same method as the Celeron at 100, but with a different contact being blocked.

G

the board is an intel something or other bx chipset, the max fsb is 100, are you saying there is a way to make it run at 133 fsb?

down load two programs,Sisoft Sandra and Soft FSB (front side bus) run mainboard info in sandra to identify your system clock generator then if soft fsb supports your clock generator you can change your clock speed in windows

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, a BX OEM board. I don't believe that it would have that feature. Sorry, if it were the 810, 815, 820, or a VIA it would support 133, and you could use a trick to fool autodetection. But not on a board that only supports 100!

G

yeah thats what i was about to post. Im gettin an ABIT SA6R soon...that should fix most of my woes.