USB 1.1 and 802.11g.

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
September 9, 2005 5:54:06 AM

I'm looking for a USB 1.1 capable 802.11g stick.

Do these exist?
Of course the bandwidth isn't available on the USB bus to let it take
full advantage - but my 100Mbps ethernet adaptor is quite happy.

It's for a laptop without USB2, actually, for fitting internally, to add
wireless capability.

More about : usb 802 11g

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 9, 2005 5:54:07 AM

sure they exist, its called backwards compatibility.

check to see if the laptop has an open mini-pci slot first though.

cuz you could plug in a mini-pci wireless card.

"Ian Stirling" <root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> I'm looking for a USB 1.1 capable 802.11g stick.
>
> Do these exist?
> Of course the bandwidth isn't available on the USB bus to let it take
> full advantage - but my 100Mbps ethernet adaptor is quite happy.
>
> It's for a laptop without USB2, actually, for fitting internally, to add
> wireless capability.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 9, 2005 1:22:51 PM

Karum Rickheart <kr1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
> sure they exist, its called backwards compatibility.

Model numbers?
Because the first 10 802.11G adaptors I checked diddn't turn up anything,
either not mentioning usb1.1, or excluding it.
a b F Wireless
September 9, 2005 1:23:47 PM

Karum Rickheart <kr1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
> sure they exist, its called backwards compatibility.

Model numbers?
Because the first 10 802.11G adaptors I checked diddn't turn up anything,
either not mentioning usb1.1, or excluding it.
Unfortunately I'm very sure there is no mini-pci.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 9, 2005 1:23:48 PM

Ian Stirling wrote:

>Karum Rickheart <kr1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>sure they exist, its called backwards compatibility.
>>

>Model numbers?
>Because the first 10 802.11G adaptors I checked diddn't turn up anything,
>either not mentioning usb1.1, or excluding it.
>Unfortunately I'm very sure there is no mini-pci.

Do you have a cardbus slot? That would probably be your best solution
lacking a mini-pci slot.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 9, 2005 1:37:23 PM

Ian Stirling wrote:

> Karum Rickheart <kr1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> sure they exist, its called backwards compatibility.
>>

> Model numbers?
> Because the first 10 802.11G adaptors I checked diddn't turn up anything,
> either not mentioning usb1.1, or excluding it.

What Karum means is you can plug a USB 802.11G adaptor into a USB 1.1 port.
And if you do it with a Windows machine you're going to get that
oh-so-annoying tantrum recommending you use the non-existent USB 2 hub. You
can't _possibly_ get 802.11g _speeds_ through a USB 1.1 port. USB 1.1
simply isn't fast enough (I'm not really sure USB 2 is - but it's fast
enough to be better than 802.11b speeds).
--
derek
Anonymous

Jerry Park <NoReply@no.spam> wrote:
> Ian Stirling wrote:
>
>>Karum Rickheart <kr1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>sure they exist, its called backwards compatibility.

>>Model numbers?
>>Because the first 10 802.11G adaptors I checked diddn't turn up anything,
>>either not mentioning usb1.1, or excluding it.
>>Unfortunately I'm very sure there is no mini-pci.

> Do you have a cardbus slot? That would probably be your best solution
> lacking a mini-pci slot.

I do, but I'd really rather not tie it up - there is only one cardbus slot,
and I'd like to be able to insert CF reader/USB2 card/... without losing
connectivity.
And I'd also not like a chain of USB stuff sticking out of the USB2 card,
as it makes the laptop lots less usable for me.

I can however easily internally get to the docks USB1.1 connector, and
parasite off that for an internal wi-fi adaptor, which there is barely
enough space for.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 9, 2005 7:41:09 PM

Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Ian Stirling wrote:
>
>> Karum Rickheart <kr1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> sure they exist, its called backwards compatibility.
>>>

>> Model numbers?
>> Because the first 10 802.11G adaptors I checked diddn't turn up anything,
>> either not mentioning usb1.1, or excluding it.
>
> What Karum means is you can plug a USB 802.11G adaptor into a USB 1.1 port.
> And if you do it with a Windows machine you're going to get that
> oh-so-annoying tantrum recommending you use the non-existent USB 2 hub. You
> can't _possibly_ get 802.11g _speeds_ through a USB 1.1 port. USB 1.1
> simply isn't fast enough (I'm not really sure USB 2 is - but it's fast
> enough to be better than 802.11b speeds).

USB2 will do 480Mbps, so it can certainly cope.
I know the speed will be slower, but it'll not slow down the rest of the
network to a crawl too.
!