USB 1.1 and 802.11g.

I'm looking for a USB 1.1 capable 802.11g stick.

Do these exist?
Of course the bandwidth isn't available on the USB bus to let it take
full advantage - but my 100Mbps ethernet adaptor is quite happy.

It's for a laptop without USB2, actually, for fitting internally, to add
wireless capability.
7 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    sure they exist, its called backwards compatibility.

    check to see if the laptop has an open mini-pci slot first though.

    cuz you could plug in a mini-pci wireless card.

    Karum Rickheart <kr1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > sure they exist, its called backwards compatibility.

    Model numbers?
    Because the first 10 802.11G adaptors I checked diddn't turn up anything,
    either not mentioning usb1.1, or excluding it.

    Karum Rickheart <kr1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > sure they exist, its called backwards compatibility.

    Model numbers?
    Because the first 10 802.11G adaptors I checked diddn't turn up anything,
    either not mentioning usb1.1, or excluding it.
    Unfortunately I'm very sure there is no mini-pci.

    Ian Stirling wrote:

    >Karum Rickheart <kr1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>sure they exist, its called backwards compatibility.
    >>

    >Model numbers?
    >Because the first 10 802.11G adaptors I checked diddn't turn up anything,
    >either not mentioning usb1.1, or excluding it.
    >Unfortunately I'm very sure there is no mini-pci.

    Do you have a cardbus slot? That would probably be your best solution
    lacking a mini-pci slot.

    Ian Stirling wrote:

    > Karum Rickheart <kr1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> sure they exist, its called backwards compatibility.
    >>

    > Model numbers?
    > Because the first 10 802.11G adaptors I checked diddn't turn up anything,
    > either not mentioning usb1.1, or excluding it.

    What Karum means is you can plug a USB 802.11G adaptor into a USB 1.1 port.
    And if you do it with a Windows machine you're going to get that
    oh-so-annoying tantrum recommending you use the non-existent USB 2 hub. You
    can't _possibly_ get 802.11g _speeds_ through a USB 1.1 port. USB 1.1
    simply isn't fast enough (I'm not really sure USB 2 is - but it's fast
    enough to be better than 802.11b speeds).
    --
    derek

    Jerry Park <NoReply@no.spam> wrote:
    > Ian Stirling wrote:
    >
    >>Karum Rickheart <kr1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>sure they exist, its called backwards compatibility.

    >>Model numbers?
    >>Because the first 10 802.11G adaptors I checked diddn't turn up anything,
    >>either not mentioning usb1.1, or excluding it.
    >>Unfortunately I'm very sure there is no mini-pci.

    > Do you have a cardbus slot? That would probably be your best solution
    > lacking a mini-pci slot.

    I do, but I'd really rather not tie it up - there is only one cardbus slot,
    and I'd like to be able to insert CF reader/USB2 card/... without losing
    connectivity.
    And I'd also not like a chain of USB stuff sticking out of the USB2 card,
    as it makes the laptop lots less usable for me.

    I can however easily internally get to the docks USB1.1 connector, and
    parasite off that for an internal wi-fi adaptor, which there is barely
    enough space for.

    Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
    > Ian Stirling wrote:
    >
    >> Karum Rickheart <kr1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>> sure they exist, its called backwards compatibility.
    >>>

    >> Model numbers?
    >> Because the first 10 802.11G adaptors I checked diddn't turn up anything,
    >> either not mentioning usb1.1, or excluding it.
    >
    > What Karum means is you can plug a USB 802.11G adaptor into a USB 1.1 port.
    > And if you do it with a Windows machine you're going to get that
    > oh-so-annoying tantrum recommending you use the non-existent USB 2 hub. You
    > can't _possibly_ get 802.11g _speeds_ through a USB 1.1 port. USB 1.1
    > simply isn't fast enough (I'm not really sure USB 2 is - but it's fast
    > enough to be better than 802.11b speeds).

    USB2 will do 480Mbps, so it can certainly cope.
    I know the speed will be slower, but it'll not slow down the rest of the
    network to a crawl too.

Wireless WiFi and Home Networking USB Wireless Networking