Best location of fans?

ReDVsion

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2001
I'm intending to buy an 800 duron overclocking kit from ocz.safeshopping.com, and then getting a case somewhere else, seeing as how they're damned expensive. What I'd like to know is:

1. What's the best place to buy a relatively inexpensive 300W case with 2 places for fans,

2. How the fans should be placed.

Now, I know that one of my fans has to be putting air into the case - the one at the lower front - and one is pulling one out. Some places I've heard recommended placing a fan at the top of the case for blowing the air out (requiring cutting into the case - something I'm not prepped to do). Would putting the 2nd fan next to the processor (under the power supply) work out fine or would it not give me enough air circulation?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I bought my Duron/KT7/Monster II cooler combo from OCZ.SAFESHOPPER.COM. I bought a cheap case (with an AMD approved 300w PSU). I mean really cheap $42 + about $17 shipping. 2 case fans add another $8.50. I bought it at www.nimbuspc.com. Here is the exact URL.

http://www.nimbusenterprises.com/VC803K.htm

I like this case but it is not perfect.

Good features

- Price
- Holds (4) 5.25" drives and (5) 3.25" drives (2 exposed)
- 300w PSU
- removable side panels with cooling vents.
- removable motherboard tray
- hardware reset switch

Not so good features

- only (4) standard power connectors and (1) mini
- case is a little shallow. (Watch out for 5.25" drives colliding with capactors on the motherboard).
- case is a little light-weight but reasonably well made (no sharp edges).
- drive cages are not removable (not easily anyway) and there is no extra drive shelf
- My CPU runs 10 degrees C warmer with case closed than when open making me unable to overclock to 1000 mhz. This is with (2) case fans.

I only have a CD-ROM, CD-RW, Dual floppy and one hard drive installed. The case is not even half full yet I have heat problems. I can still overclock my duron 600 to 900mhz but I would like more because my Duron can do more.

I can improve cooling by doing case mods but I probably won't. I will just leave my Duron at 900mhz.

This case is probably good for any non-overclocked Athlon/ Duron. It is fair for overclocking if the case isn't overcrowded. (Heat IS NOT a problem while my system is at 900mhz). If you need a lot of cooling to get that last mhz then case mods are a must or look elsewhere.

As I said, I like this case but it is not perfect.