CPU fans for overclocking Socket A Athlon 1Ghz

G

Anyone out there know what is the best fan for overclocking an Athlon Socket A 1 GHz?

Where can I buy these fans in the UK?

mpjesse

Splendid
The Alpha PAL6035 or Global Win FOP38. However, just using those won't keep temps down. You'd better look at good air circulation, artic silver compound, and leaving the case open.

-MP Jesse

sodium

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
I thought that leaving the case opened actually was bad for overclocking? The way I understood things is that the air is circulated better with the case ON if you have decent circulation fans on your case. And that leaving the case off left the air "standing still" over places where heat is generated (vidio card, chipset, Hard drive etc.) and that without the case on the fans on your case don't really move that air effectively.
I know it sounds kinda strange at first but if you really look in your case & think about it, it really makes sense. The case fans aren't placed to blow directly on anything like the cpu fan, they are just there to keep a fresh supply of ambient air in the case. Hence the best set-up's usually have equal amounts of inward vs. outward blowing fans.
Well I suppose I could be wrong. Maybe I should listen to you since you have "addict" next to your name but for now I think I will keep my case on.

Anybody else have an opinion?

Parachute for sale:
Only used once, never opened... small stain.

sodium

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
Oops, I meant to put this in my last post.

I have a CoolerMaster DP5-6H51 and I'm very happy w/ it. It keeps my Duron 650 between 27 and 30 degrees and is pretty quiet. And that is at a voltage of 1.66 . I haven't overclocked it yet. I'm gonna let it run a few more days before overclocking (I just got some other issues fixed w/ it and want to see it's stable). Anyway here's a link to a review of 6 coolers that I just read. Note that all 6 of these coolers are good coolers. You can't really go wrong if you buy one of them unless you get the overclockers warehouse one and it doesn't fit w/ your mobo. Other than that any of them would be a good choice. I like mine 'cause it's Good,Cheap, and Quiet.

http://www.anandtech.com/webnews.html?newdate=1/24/2001&frontid=#11901

Parachute for sale:

sodium

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001
Hmmm, I just realized that my preference in coolers closely resembles the same qualities I find attractive in women.

:0

Parachute for sale:

G

I am not advertising for anyone but overclockers.co.uk have a good selection of HSF's including my recommendation (Taisol CGK742092) and a load of other really useful bits (arctic silver etc) for us UK OCers. One thing, ask them to box your shipment because my fans were bust and the HSF bent!!

mpjesse

Splendid
Well, i've tried every method of good case circulation and so far my best results have been from leaving the case off. The fact is no matter how hard you try, your going to have areas in the case with hot air. Taking the case off eliminates this problem. All I know is that with the case off i get temperatures of 33C full load with a athlon 800 oc'd to 1Ghz. With the case on- i get about 37C. Granted- not a big difference. But, never the less it is cooler =)

-MP Jesse