HP LaserJet 6L Printer

Glenn

I have used the latest XP driver for HP LaserJet 6L
printer but if the computer is booted up with the printer
having no paper in it, the PC doesn't recognise when paper
has been added. Normally it is necessary to re-boot the
machine so that printing can be carried out. Please
advise if there is a solution to this problem.

Regards
Glenn

Maybe this:
HP LaserJet 5L and 6L Printer Families - Error Light Remains Lit, False Paper Jam
(Resetting Paper Sensors)
http://tinyurl.com/2sayx

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Glenn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have used the latest XP driver for HP LaserJet 6L
> printer but if the computer is booted up with the printer
> having no paper in it, the PC doesn't recognise when paper
> has been added. Normally it is necessary to re-boot the
> machine so that printing can be carried out. Please
> advise if there is a solution to this problem.
>
> Regards
> Glenn

Glenn

Mary,

Thanks but unfortunately it isn't so simple. When the
paper is put into the hopper after booting up, the green
light correctly operates on the printer but the Windows
XP does not see this. There was no problem with Windows
95.

Regards
Glenn

Glenn wrote:
> Mary,
>
> Thanks but unfortunately it isn't so simple. When the
> paper is put into the hopper after booting up, the green
> light correctly operates on the printer but the Windows
> XP does not see this. There was no problem with Windows
> 95.
>
> Regards
> Glenn

You might post this to comp.sys.hp.hardware where a couple of HP printer
experts hang out. I have two 6L printers and found that the
XP-compatible HP driver does not work at all well (printers getting
"lost" from time to time) but the native XP driver does. You might try
the native driver; it retains most of the printer capabilities. Also,
the 6L is getting near the end of its useful life and the switch might
just be worn out. You will find references to replacement part
suppliers for these printers on the hp.hardware ng.

Q,

Thanks for your response. There is nothing wrong with the
paper detection switch. How do you access the "native"
driver, please? I will try that.

Regards
Glenn

>>> http://www.mvps.org/msauer/
>>> "Glenn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
printer
paper
the

>>> .
>
>You might post this to comp.sys.hp.hardware where a
couple of HP printer
>experts hang out. I have two 6L printers and found that
the
>XP-compatible HP driver does not work at all well
(printers getting
>"lost" from time to time) but the native XP driver does.
You might try
>the native driver; it retains most of the printer
capabilities. Also,
>the 6L is getting near the end of its useful life and the
switch might
>just be worn out. You will find references to
replacement part
>suppliers for these printers on the hp.hardware ng.

>.

You can see if disabling Bidirectional Communication helps. Some printer
cables do not contain all the pin configurations that allow for the printer
to communicate to XP the way that it did on Win98.

Printer Properties / Ports

You will not get a Paper Out error, data will just error with no specific
message until paper is readded to the printer and the Parallel driver
signals the spooler that the device is available again.

You also might try changing the parallel BIOS configuration and see if
another setting works better with this printer.

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

> Q,
>
> Thanks for your response. There is nothing wrong with the
> paper detection switch. How do you access the "native"
> driver, please? I will try that.
>
> Regards
> Glenn

ok but i have a epson color777 and the paper keeps getting jamed what do i need to do

get your printer manual out and see how to clean your printer parts [rollers
etc..] And /or see if you can see any parts that are worn out.