BF3 Crashing - GTX 580

ScreaminNorman

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Hello All,

I have recently purchased Battlefield 3 from Origin.... and i cant stand Origin but that is not the problem.

I have tried looking through various forums of BF & Nvidia for an answer but there doesn't seem to be just 1 clear solution to it.

The Problem:
I go to start the campaign (haven't tried online yet, need to get used it to it) all goes fine menus fine etc. I click start everything is fine still, i crash through the train window steal that mans gun shoot 2 people usually sometimes doesn't get that far. And computer just crashes and reboots it self for no apparent reason.

I have tried a few things i have read like change the video setting to medium.. doesn't work. Up the voltage by 0.025 or something like that..seemed to make it work for a few seconds longer it seemed anyway.. but ultimately didn't work. And then there was use a certain driver.. doesn't work.

Im not one to complain about things just take it easy and hopefully something comes up for it to work :D

Suggestions welcome :)

My Specs:
i5 750
8GB Ram
Gainward GTX 580 - 3GB
850W PSU

frankc123

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
If the computer just shuts off and reboots the first thing i would check is the temps, you can use gpu-z and make sure its set to log and you can use cpu-z or mbm. Once it crashes pull up the logs and take a look. Make sure your temps arent high.

if its shutting down at random intervals then yeah check your temps. but if its consistently shutting down at the same point its likely your save or even the game...
first try an earlier save or save just b4 you would normally crash.
instead of just letting the game crash, quit out and then restart using the last save you just made. hopefully this will allow you to carry on.

aviral

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
The main reason for the crashes is that either your cpu heats up or your gpu heats up because the problem which you have listed above was similar to mine and i found out that my cpu was heating up due to improper cooling of processor.

frankc123

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Yea i just fixed one of my crashes. Found out my northbridge was getting a little hot and my 580 was not utilizing the 85% fan it could. I made custom rules to turn both the cpu and gpu fans on to max when i play the game. This fixed my issue with that... for now hopefully.

ScreaminNorman

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Ok cant edit my post above...

Just ran BF3 with gpuz, ran in a window this time ran quite a lot longer than normal but eventually reset my computer.

Checked the log top temp was 98 and fans were at 100%. Should i check my cpu temps aswell ?

Any suggestions from those numbers ??

aviral

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

I already give you the idea in my earlier post that your processor was overheating.

Remedy:- Try to get a new cooler for your processor because they are not enough for the cooling.Try to get Corsair H80 or H100 as your cooler then you won't experience these kinds of problems.

The temperature should lie between 60C to & 70C at load for the best performance result and getting 98C is equivalent to maximum tolerate temperature of the processor.Which causes the rebooting of your system to protect the processor from burning or damaging.

Recommended :- Its really a serious problem so please change your cooler for processor.

ScreaminNorman

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Just checked my cpu temps and seems fine when it crashed its just the gpu temps is the problem.

Would buying a new case solve the problem ?? As the one i have at the moment is pretty small and there isn't much space.

For now i will removed the card and put my old one back in.

aviral

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Yes,getting a new case may solve a problem but getting a new heat sink for your graphics card will be a much better option.

If you can go with new case as well as new gpu heat-sink will be the best.

i think the max temp for the 580 is around 97'c so if your maxing out the gpu temp wise then you have your problem... your case needs better air flow as the gtx 580's normal operating range is 72-77'c you may even want to remove the side panel as it sounds like your case isnt venting the heat quick enough...

Are you going to continue to resurrect old threads so that you can spam them with this link? :heink: