Netgear RangeMaxT Wireless Router - WPN824

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
September 9, 2005 3:43:53 PM

Hi,

Can anyone offer any comments on the claimed range increase/improvement
through obstacles for this router? I'm looking to buy a wireless router for
a charitable residents home and would like to maximise the range throughout.

I have experience of both the DG834Gv2 and the DG834GT (which simply will
not maintain a 108Mb/s network speed).

Regards and thanks

Alan C
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
September 9, 2005 3:43:54 PM

> Can anyone offer any comments on the claimed range increase/improvement
> through obstacles for this router? I'm looking to buy a wireless router
> for a charitable residents home and would like to maximise the range
> throughout.

I'm glad you asked. I was just about to share my experience.

I bought one on 9/7 and returned it the next day. I also bought 2 of the
RangeMax USB adapters.

I'm currently using a Netgear WGR614 v2 and have three computers connected
to it, all wireless. In an effort to increase the signal and limit the
signal losses form the farthest computer, I upgraded the router to the
RangeMax and replaced the two WT111 USB adapters with two RangeMax USB
adapters. One laptop is within 15 -20 ft., the 2 desktops are about 50ft
away.

I ended up with NO signal at the farthest computer and a very low signal at
another, although I picked up three other local available wireless networks.
Even though one is a coffee shop three blocks away, I could not connect to
the two farthest computers to my network. It was listed as available, yet
in had no bars and could not connect.

The best part of the story is when I went to return it at Staples. I
explained that, not only did it NOT improve my signal/coverage, I was not
paying $350 to have a worse connection. You ready for his answer? The CSR
told me that I had to move my computers FARTHER from the router, as the
RangeMax was designed ONLY to work at a distance. He said (with straight
face and believing every word he said) that it is not designed to work with
close connections. I got my refund and walked out.

I'm looking for a more stable wireless connection that will allow me to
connect reliably. I thought RangeMax was the ticket, as I've had pretty
good success with my current WGR614. I don't know what the problem is (I
tried many different settings), but I actually got a worse signal and
connection.

I'm not bashing the equipment and I'd like to figure out what the problem is
and try again. Bottom line is, it didn't do squat for me. YMMV.
September 9, 2005 4:32:15 PM

"AC" <alancleggy@xvirginx.net> wrote in message
news:D frp17$1pr$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone offer any comments on the claimed range increase/improvement
> through obstacles for this router? I'm looking to buy a wireless router
> for a charitable residents home and would like to maximise the range
> throughout.
>
> I have experience of both the DG834Gv2 and the DG834GT (which simply will
> not maintain a 108Mb/s network speed).
>
> Regards and thanks
>
> Alan C

Ive installed a few - you need the latest firmware and drivers, this took
performance from just a little better than existing stuff, to 30-40% better.

You also need to follow the guidelines to get the best out of it - try
vertical orientation or raising the router up a little (especially if it sat
on a metal/shiny desk)

Its the best consumer wireless router Ive tested/used myself...and Ive tried
most of them !
March 14, 2006 3:11:24 PM

I was gonna get a rangemax but i think people r better of with the WGR614, less expensive and just as good apparently, if ya want MIMO wait till ratified 802.11n products are released i wud say, if ya need long range just use access points wherever necesary, better than MIMO which will be just a gimmick till it is properly ratified. No wireless equipment will ever go at the stated speed , check out the wireless guides at toms hardware, not even the best wireless can go at 108Mbps, and thats 108 mega'bits' per second not mega'bytes' per second, over long distances there will be no where near the speeds stated. If ya hav big bags of money just use wired LAN altho i admit thats prolly not a realistic option with wires all over the place.