Sign in with
Your question

Replaced Motherboard, now Windows 7 won't boot up.

Last response: in Windows 7
October 10, 2010 5:44:41 PM

I built a rig a month ago but last week my motherboard stopped working and so I replaced it with the exact same model, except on boot up it was excruciatingly slow. I formatted the hard drive and tried reinstalling Windows 7. I tried both startup repair and clean installations several times. Now it gets to the loading screen and freezes, and after long enough it just shuts off. Safe mode does not work. It recognizes the HDD in my BIOS though.

I built the rig myself and all the components are quite new.

I'm running:

Intel i7 930
12 GB RAM
850W PSU
Radeon HD 4670

Can anyone please help?

Thanks,
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
October 10, 2010 8:07:24 PM

And what kind of motherboard is this? (I could guess) ...
your motherboard stopped working, how do you know it was the motherboard that stopped working?
And what is on the HDD? did you format the entire hard drive? Please give all the details, makes model numbers...
m
l
October 10, 2010 8:34:34 PM

Gigabyte X58A-UD3R is the motherboard. I formatted the entire Hard Drive

What happened was I plugged in a USB in what I realised was a broken USB port (Cheap case - I'm getting replaced), the computer crashed. afterwards it didn't boot so I replaced the power supply and still nothing. At that point I figured if it wouldn't even boot up, it had to be the motherboard since the PSU was working but nothing was lighting up. I wouldn't even get it to light up in the back. Luckily It was still within the 30 day warantee and so I replaced the motherboard and everything booted up but the system was excruciatingly slow. I assumed it was because the OS drivers were configured to the old motherboard so I formatted the hard drive and reinstalled windows fine, but now it won't get past the loading screen.

I ran Memtest and there were no errors with the RAM. Also, I'm not sure if it's relevant but I also replaced the stock cooler with a new Cooler master Hyper N520. I'm running 12 GB RAM DDR3 (3 x 4gb). Any ideas?
m
l
Related resources
October 10, 2010 8:36:28 PM

Oh and I'm running a Western Digital 1 TB Caviar Green SATA Intellipower 64 MB Cache
m
l
October 11, 2010 2:40:35 AM

So the issue is that Windows 7 64bit isn't installing properly. It hangs at "Setup is updating registry". That's why it wouldn't boot up. Any ideas how to fix this?
m
l
October 11, 2010 9:52:50 AM

Hi there,

Have you changed your USB port yet?

Do you have an onboard VGA, besides your VGA card?

If yes you could try to install windows with the onboard VGA, and then install your VGA card...
m
l
a c 354 $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
October 11, 2010 2:39:54 PM

wanalex said:
Hi there,

Have you changed your USB port yet?

Do you have an onboard VGA, besides your VGA card?

If yes you could try to install windows with the onboard VGA, and then install your VGA card...

What does the video have to do with the issue he is having? You should really read the issue first.

Shicko, try using only half the RAM in the system. If that does not cure it, try using the other half you took out.
Also with your system specs, I'm thinking you have a spare hard drive around, try installing Windows on that.
m
l
October 12, 2010 9:47:19 AM

So the issue is that Windows 7 64bit isn't installing properly. It hangs at "Setup is updating registry"

I ever had a similar problem! I removed my vga card, and windows installed just fine.

I read the issue! I wouldn't advise anyone If I hadn't had the same problem myself and be able to solve it. What worked for me might not work for someone else, but at least it worth to try.

And thanks again for being so nice with people who try to help.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
October 12, 2010 1:41:23 PM

Noted that you reformated the HDD, But did you delete the two partitions that were on the HDD first. If not try seleting custom install and delete aLL partitions including the small 100 MB partition. Then repartition, letting windows recreate the 100 MB partition. Also I assume that you alread verivied the proper setings in Bios for your HDD.

wanalex, the the I7 series procs do not have an IGP and his MB does not have an IGP.
m
l
!