two printers

I need to connect two printers to my xp machine. I tried to connect the second one to the com1 (serial) port but it did not work. Manufacturer told me that it can only work with parallel port. Any suggestions? Does anyone make a switch device that will allow multiple parallel ports that is supported by xp?
4 answers Last reply
More about printers

    Buy second card for LPT2 port and built in computer. I have this a long time
    (5 years) and works perfect.

    advo@siol.net

    "mattb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> je napisal v sporoèilo
    news:9B79B20B-5CDB-4CDB-A5A5-E90ED524A217@microsoft.com ...
    > I need to connect two printers to my xp machine. I tried to connect the
    second one to the com1 (serial) port but it did not work. Manufacturer told
    me that it can only work with parallel port. Any suggestions? Does anyone
    make a switch device that will allow multiple parallel ports that is
    supported by xp?

    Belkin (and others) produce a cable that will allow a parallel printer to
    connect to a USB port using usb drivers in XP. Canon printers have a
    problem with this configuration but my HP LJ 4L (yes I do have some ancient
    devices) works great.

    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=1999&pcount=&Product_Id=20651

    looking at the $70 price tag I think your better off with the LPT2 port
    card. I have a SIIG single port card on an XP system. I encountered
    problems with the 2 Port card from SIIG but they may have fixed this so
    check with the retailer for XP compatibility.
    CompUSA has this for $41
    http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50003893&pfp=SEARCH

    This is not a product endorsement, just stuff that has worked on XP in the
    past. Anyone with other suggestions can speak now.
    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "Adi" <advo@siol.net> wrote in message
    > Buy second card for LPT2 port and built in computer. I have this a long
    time
    > (5 years) and works perfect.
    >
    > advo@siol.net
    >

    > "mattb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> je napisal v sporoèilo
    > news:9B79B20B-5CDB-4CDB-A5A5-E90ED524A217@microsoft.com ...
    > > I need to connect two printers to my xp machine. I tried to connect the
    > second one to the com1 (serial) port but it did not work. Manufacturer
    told
    > me that it can only work with parallel port. Any suggestions? Does anyone
    > make a switch device that will allow multiple parallel ports that is
    > supported by xp?

    Thanks, Guys. I will try the 2-port card and confirm xp compatability. One more question..is the installation something an amateur should attempt at home?

    You will need to open the case and confirm you have an available PCI slot.

    Once you have the card you will need to install it in the available slot,
    close the case, power the system on. XP found the card and installed the
    driver for me. Then I plugged a printer in and since the device was also
    PnP with inbox drivers, the driver loaded and I could print.

    --
    Alan Morris
    Windows Printing Team

    "mattb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks, Guys. I will try the 2-port card and confirm xp compatability. One
    more question..is the installation something an amateur should attempt at
    home?

Connection Printers Windows XP