Copper SHim

G

Ok, Ill make this short and brief. I got a copper shim from cpufx.com thats awsome. however, I'm still unclear as to what the proper method is for putting a copper shim on your proc is. Do you need thermal paste inbetween the shim and the ceramic portion of the proc? is it alright if the shim touches 2 or more of those metallic like pieces of the proc (if there is electricity running through them then I'd think that the shim would connect them and that'd be bad, but I don't know). Thanks in advance everyone. Ps. The one and only reason I'm using a copper shim is to avoid cracking the die. I just got a 1200 t-bird cause I cracked my 600 duron with a crome orb, thus, I don't want to take any chances. I now have a AlphaPal 6035 HS w/ Delta fan. Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think I would use a non-conductive paste over the multipliers you are talking about. And you have to paste both sides if you want it to transfer heat.

Suicide is painless...........

G

I don't think using non-conductive paste alone would help. You never know at which points the copper shim touches the bridges. (i.e. there are still points where the shim touches the CPU, even through non-conductive paste)

Nonetheless, I'd still use non-conductive paste =)

I probably would use any sort of tape or other thin sheets of paper/plastic to cover the bridges. But that might affect heat conductivity...