XP Machine freezes when printing?

I have a brother HL-1440 printer, and when connected via
USB OR Parallel (have tried both ways), 2 out of 5 times i
send a print job to the printer, my XP machine freezes.

The drivers are up to date, and the same printer works
flawlessly with a Win2000 PC, but this is driving me up
the wall.

Thanks
Rowan.

rowan

Forgot to mention, this problem also happens if connected
to the XP amchine locally, OR whilst the printer is
installed on the Win2000 machine and is shared via the
network. The XP pc still freezes when on LAN also.

Thanks
Rowan