lord kryo's 17 coolers

G

damm man i was planning on a hedgehog with a delta fan till i saw this review :( i still cant get my head around the aluminum swiftech winning over the copper hedgehog, not after the reviews i have seen on other copper stuff over the years. anyone know why the hedgehog lost out? was it the fan, heatsink design or what?
anyway my main question is which is the best heatsink and which is the best fan? also noise don't bother me and the weight issue can be fixed by some custom mods >:)
i'm also getting a copper shim and arctic silver for my oc'd cheap'o duron beast
my next problem is i'm in australia and need some links to people that'll sell the hsf's to me

PHOBOS

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
I think the Hedgehog is not as bad as Kryo said. In EVERY review i have ever seen, the hedgehog performed better than the Fop 38 and Alpha coolers!!!! I think he had a bad fan or something else. I just bought one for my PIII 800e! Before buying it I had a golden orb, and the temperature dropped by 10 degrees!!!

G

well, first off, the toms hardware review isn't all that good. See my sig for mroe info.

Mike

<A HREF="http://mikewarrior.freeservers.com" target="_new">Socket A MB Temp problems</A>

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i found lord kyro's review weak. it didn't seem like he was being unbiased or objective about the coolers he was testing. but i think if you look at the numbers rather than his commentary, you might get somthing worthwile out of his article.

<font color=red>booyah, grandma, booyah..</font color=red>

my view on what i've read is that lord kyro used all original fans that came stock with the heatsink.on allmost all of the other review sites most used the stock fan then used a reference fan or used the same fan on each heatsink
to test heatsink design and thermal transfer properties and yes the hedgehog won but not with its stock fan .toms review sums it up fairly accurate if you go down to the local (overpriced cheap guality mostly)computer store and buy a heatsink and put it on with the pad or paste and fan that came in the box. of course we all tinker with better fans better case cooling overclocking out the yahoo.i mean i have a coolermaster but the fan is on my gts2 with a nice sunon on the h/s blowing away from cpu with some aluminum tape as shrouding as on the alpha coolers .and with these mods my tenp is 32 deg C idli annd 48 deg C max 550e@816 1.8 volts

G

The reason the Copper Hedgehog lost is this. Copper may be the best material for transferring het from an item, but the thermal properties of Copper do not allow it to transfer heat from itself, the Copper, to air. Automotive people have known this for a long long time, as car radiators are almost all aluminum now, not Copper. Aluminum disappates heat at a faster rate than Copper, so if you have heatsinks that are about the same size, with the same amount of air blowing, then the aluminum unit will probably fair better. Now of we weren't having to get rid of so much heat, than Copper would be better. This is one reason the Alpha coolers work well, It uses Copper on the Base, the aluminum around it to get rid of the heat.

Fa1c0n

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
As was just said...

I'll add just a bit more info on copper.

Making the base plate out of copper offers a few advantages over aluminum with the main reason being that copper transfers heat faster than aluminum. However, <b>copper retains heat longer</b>. Aluminum does everything the opposite way. It transfers heat more slowly, but retains it for a much shorter period of time.

So the best design is to have a copper baseplate on the bottom of your aluminum heatsink to transfer the heat away from your CPU quickly. Then the aluminum transfers the heat a little more slowly from the copper to itself. Then, finally, the aluminum releases the heat more quickly than the copper, thus forming the optimum heatsink system.

This is probably the reason why the Hedgehog worked bad with a stock fan. Because it retains heat really bad and cools poorly if it doesn't have a mammoth CFM fan to assist it in releasing that heat. If it has a great fan -one that is big enough to suck the heat away fast enough for the high transfer speed of copper to perform at it's best- then the headgehog will work great (you would also need some good case fans to keep the ambient air inside the case cool enough to keep up the heat transfer efficiency).

If you ask me, you are better off with a smaller copper/aluminum heatsink. Because it's more effective for it's size, less noisy (since you don't need as many fans or as big), it doesn't stress your motherboard with it's weight, and costs less.

To sum it all up:

Copper= Transfer fast, release slow
Aluminum= Transfer slow, release fast

:wink: :cool: :wink: :cool: :wink: :cool: :wink: :cool:
:smile: <b><font color=green> Have a day </font color=green></b> :smile: