Trouble sending faxes

Installed Windows XP Fax Services but cannot send faxes. Originally tried sending fax from MS Word using Print command. Got error messages about 24 s after hitting Send like 'There is no answer' or 'Line is busy' or 'Unable ...' Then decided to try sending fax from MS Outlook. Was prompted to install Symantec fax from my MS Office 2000 disc and did so. Still unable to send. Error message 'Ambiguous name detected' and prompted to debug. Something about conflicts of module-level and procedure-level identifiers/variables. Did not try debugging---maybe over my head. Then uninstalled XP Fax Services, restarted and tried again. Same message. Please help.
4 answers Last reply
More about trouble sending faxes

    Also.....Modem works fine for dialup internet, but was not found in MS Catalogue alias HCL (U.S. Robotics VoiceWin 1806).

    Are you using a XP fax compatible anolog modem and anolog phone line to send
    faxes?

    "Canis" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Installed Windows XP Fax Services but cannot send faxes. Originally tried
    sending fax from MS Word using Print command. Got error messages about 24 s
    after hitting Send like 'There is no answer' or 'Line is busy' or 'Unable
    ....' Then decided to try sending fax from MS Outlook. Was prompted to
    install Symantec fax from my MS Office 2000 disc and did so. Still unable to
    send. Error message 'Ambiguous name detected' and prompted to debug.
    Something about conflicts of module-level and procedure-level
    identifiers/variables. Did not try debugging---maybe over my head. Then
    uninstalled XP Fax Services, restarted and tried again. Same message. Please
    help.

    Yes, Victor. I used the same modem for Internet and sending faxes before upgrading to Windows xp from Windows 98. As I recall, I could only make it work by sending via Outlook. Thanks. C.

    If the modem is not on the HCL list then it won't work with XP

    > Also.....Modem works fine for dialup internet, but was not found in MS
    Catalogue alias HCL (U.S. Robotics VoiceWin 1806).

Fax Windows XP