Sprint Internet antenna with 802.11b?

I have a sprint antenna that I am no longer using. It has a connection for
an RG6 (of which cable I have plenty of). I also have an ORiNOCO gold card
with the MC Card connector. Can I create a pigtail that will convert MC-Card
to RG6 so I could see if this antenna give any improvements at all?

Any input appreciated!

> with the MC Card connector. Can I create a pigtail that will convert MC-Card
> to RG6 so I could see if this antenna give any improvements at all?

You can get a pigtail that will go from MC to typically N-type. From
there you're on your own.

David.

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 18:22:42 GMT, "Scott Phelps" <root@aol.com> wrote:

>I have a sprint antenna that I am no longer using. It has a connection for
>an RG6 (of which cable I have plenty of). I also have an ORiNOCO gold card
>with the MC Card connector. Can I create a pigtail that will convert MC-Card
>to RG6 so I could see if this antenna give any improvements at all?

It's probably not just an antenna. It's a complete up/down converter
radio. The other end of the RG-6/u goes to what amounts to a DOCSIS
1.0 cable modem. Inside the "antenna" is quite a bit of electronics
including a 2.4Ghz notch filter designed to remove any possible
interference to the 2.5Ghz MMDS signal. With this filter in place,
it's useless for 2.4GHz.

I can't tell from your description which style of antenna you have.
My guess is that it's a California Amplifier model:
http://www.calamp.com/pro_mmds_2240-100.html
which was used extensively in the SF Bay area.

One of these could probably be hacked into something useful, but not
without a pile of test equipment and some microwave experience.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

> On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 18:22:42 GMT, "Scott Phelps" <root@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>I have a sprint antenna that I am no longer using. It has a connection for
>>an RG6 (of which cable I have plenty of). I also have an ORiNOCO gold card
>>with the MC Card connector. Can I create a pigtail that will convert
>>MC-Card
>>to RG6 so I could see if this antenna give any improvements at all?
>
> It's probably not just an antenna. It's a complete up/down converter
> radio. The other end of the RG-6/u goes to what amounts to a DOCSIS
> 1.0 cable modem. Inside the "antenna" is quite a bit of electronics
> including a 2.4Ghz notch filter designed to remove any possible
> interference to the 2.5Ghz MMDS signal. With this filter in place,
> it's useless for 2.4GHz.
>
> I can't tell from your description which style of antenna you have.
> My guess is that it's a California Amplifier model:
> http://www.calamp.com/pro_mmds_2240-100.html
> which was used extensively in the SF Bay area.
>
> One of these could probably be hacked into something useful, but not
> without a pile of test equipment and some microwave experience.

Its not the same model but very simular. My model is the part no 520024-2
.... but probally not a whole lot of difference. Right?

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:29:23 GMT, "Scott Phelps" <root@aol.com> wrote:

>> I can't tell from your description which style of antenna you have.
>> My guess is that it's a California Amplifier model:
>> http://www.calamp.com/pro_mmds_2240-100.html
>> which was used extensively in the SF Bay area.

>Its not the same model but very simular. My model is the part no 520024-2
>... but probally not a whole lot of difference. Right?

I couldn't find that model number on the California Amplfier web pile.
Using Google, it appears to be a model supplied to Sprint (Wavepath)
for consumer MMDS service. I found the patent on the device, which
has something on what's inside.
http://www.delphion.com/details?&pn=US06037903__
You might wanna lookup the FCCID on the FCC web pile for more internal
details. I don't think it is suitable for 2.4GHz without extensive
modifications and a pile of test equipment.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

martinrpowers

You might be able to find a way around your problem by checking out Raveon Technologies at http://www.raveontech.com/
They offer GPS tracking and other wireless technology.