kalisto911

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
Anyone know a service that offers email notification of new automatic updates? I don't want that crap running on my computer but sometimes I will forget to check and get behind on the critical updates which bugs me!

you rock if you have such a service, thanks for taking the time to read my spam!

"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is two wolves attempting to have a sheep for dinner and finding a well-informed, well-armed sheep."

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""Anyone know a service that offers <b>email notification</b> of new <b>automatic updates</b>? ""

:O)>

This is the fanniest thing I've heard for a looong time, hehehehehe.

They are <b>automatic</b>, hehehehehe.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Anyway, if you wish to be abel to do it yezelf, tell windowz that you and only you will take care of those updates which are straggling so much to be automatic.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
And at the end make yourself a reminder in the task manager to repeat the message about updates (make a Word file that sais in HUGE letters: "DUDE, UPDATES????" and open it with task manager at such date and time that you are always sitting infront of the PC. That way you wont "forget".

kalisto911

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
bah! don't be such a smartass, I was referring to them as automatic so people would know which updates I was refering to, although in retrospect I could have just said windows updates but I am serious about the requests, I deactivate all nuisance, performance lowering services...

"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is two wolves attempting to have a sheep for dinner and finding a well-informed, well-armed sheep."

riser

Illustrious
Automatic updates won't touch on performance, anything you'd notice at least.

But if you want the email, why not try signing up for the Free Email about Automatic Updates.. It may only cover Hot Fixes and Major security fixes.. they have a biweekly email that goes out since updates are mainly released one day a month... I think it's the 2nd wednesday of the month or something.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
No notifications here. I may go months with out checking for updates. Sometimes when I check there are critical updates, but I may not install them at that time, because patient I am not.

What I would like to know. Is if you have a firewall, is critical updates really important?

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
That didn’t stop me from hijacking the original posters thread. :wink:

What was your other option? No. hehe. I’ll have to agree with you there.

A little smoke.
What about all the people that refused to update to SP1 and 2? What about people like me that don’t even use a virus protection or people on a dial up that don’t bother updating. As for security, where does it end and that still doesn’t rule out the possibility of being attack or catching a virus. OK, maybe it’s to help, but doesn’t updates close some doors, where as a firewall closes all doors, accept the ones you allow? I’m not saying updates aren’t important, because I think some of the updates to IE are. There are people more advance that use different browsers, e-mails and other security settings that I think make critical updates not as important, since it’s only a small fraction of security. I sure rather search the net with just a firewall, then no firewall and all the updates, so where does critical updates sit as to importance?

riser

Illustrious
Critical Updates are the most important, meaning viruses can be turned out easily on them.

SQL Slammer had a 'hot fix' released a few months before that virus hit. Hardly anyone installed it because it wasn't critical. The virus came around and slammed a whole lot of people.

The reason most companies did't go to SP1 or SP2, or SP4 in Win2k is that their business apps didn't work with it. A flaw was found and had to be reworked. That's why companies didn't switch.

Granted, you could go Linux, or use different browsers, etc. But in time, more viruses will come out to attack those. Microsoft happens to get hit the most because it'll be the biggest splash if a virus works. If a virus hit Linux, you'd probably never hear it.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
The virus makers are always looking for new ways, so there’s a chance updates will be to late. What is our best defense in the mean time? If I’m not mistaking it’s the firewall. How do we get viruses, worms or hacked? As far as I know as long as we have a firewall, it’s going to be hard for either of them to get through. Minus e-mails, downloads or visiting an infected site.

As for the SQL Slammer. I don’t know if individuals should be compared to a server, but be it as it may, it sounds like user errors. Sure MS is buggy, but isn’t there anything they could of done to prevent it. Were there ports open that shouldn’t have been? Is our firewall venerable to such attacks? I thought were supposed to be invisible, at least I would think the hackers would have bigger fish to fry.

riser

Illustrious
I want to say that in 2004 and 2005, there may have been 1-2 viruses that came out before Microsoft had a fix for them. Granted, there were many small ones, but major ones that cause serious problems.. maybe 1 or 2 come out a year that beat Microsoft's hot fixes.

When the fix is released, reverse engineering goes into full swing to figure out how to create a virus. That's where viruses are mainly coming from these days.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I’m just glad I haven’t gotten hit with anything. I don’t download anything that I shouldn’t, anymore. hehe. And delete any mail I don’t recognize and try to make IE as save as I know how. Which isn’t much, but I still like using it and MS Outlook also.

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I use to scan all downloads, but sometimes I was too lazy. One crack was an XP and it showed you your whole HHD being erased and asks you “are sure you want to delete everything in the C: folder” and before you could do anything it would go blank and a screen would pop up and say “luckily this is only a joke”. It had me nervous for a second and I pass it along as a joke.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That is THE MOST offensive word you can say to a person like myself, BUT I do forgive you child, live your life happily and joyfully as I do and do not pay attention to jerks like yourself as I don't ;o)

PS: on the other hand look at your acts in every post you write.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I do not use ME, my kids do, I doubt they are cuntish.. yet.

As for me, I use w2k, that tells I am THE MAN, and all of you XP users have to think about your behavior supporting evil empire ;)

PS: but you do have a good memory, I like that.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't have to try, it's in my blood. Me has this bad c...ish dig into the soul attitude to peepel that try to spread their ego all over the place. Anyway, I know we could be friends, but you are too pwnish to be friendly, that's why you have no real friends, and I am more than sure you enjoy the fact.

PS: my windows is better than yours anyway ;)

PSS: and by the way, don't try to understand my words of wisdom, your head is too pwnish for that, you have to feel them with your soul, which is still an ok for the friendship with such c...ish peepel like my own self.

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
and try to make IE as save as I know how. Which isn’t much, but I still like using it and MS Outlook also.
You might try Avant Browser. It is very IE like, works off of the IE engine, but gives you a few more goodies like tabbed browsing and the ability to disable/enable things easily.

I need to reformat my kids!
....WW (5.1)

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Dear pwnish pwn, I told you it's in my blood, and of coarse you can't gasp the fact with your pwnish brain. Well, at least it is obvious that we can't be friends no more, unless I change my writing habits and stop being (oh boy, can't even say such insulting word to myself) that bad peepel you called me.

PS: but I start to like you already, caz you say what you think and not what I like to hear, which makes you a white crow in the herd (kinda like me;)

PSS: don't feel bad about yourself (you are bad and need salvation anyway, feeling bad about yourself does not make you better by doing so), let your life stay full of joy until you realize how bad you are and how badly you need to be better (not bad, ha ;)

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Yea...Lots of handy things once you start poking around in it, plus it works at the Windows update site.

I need to reformat my kids!
....WW (5.1)