pIII 600EB cant oc

G

Hey all this is my set up & prob
p3/600eb@630x140 4.5 1.75(i think ?)very stable at this setting
abit vt6x4 (updated bios)
128mb IBM pc133 cas3
256mb crucial pc133 cas2
MSI star force 815 32mb DDR (ROX $189.00)

This is my prob: I know this cpu can go to 900 it has been done on a friends board but i cant get it to go over 630mhz w/ any stability, it starts to lock up when i go beyond this, y?? I think it might be the Ibm 128 stick I will test this but other than that I'm out of ideas i'd appreciate any help
thanx

G

what are you using for cooling?
have you tried bumping up the voltage?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Remove the IBM memory. It cannot handle the speed.
Check your heat, replace heatsink if necessary.
If that does not help, increase core voltage to 1.75v and try it again. I find it highly unlikely that you will be able to go much over 650 at stock voltage.
Also, I do not know if the VIA chipset is stable much above 133. You may have been lucky to get it to 140. If nothing else helps, get the Asus CUSL2-C, it can handle MUCH higher bus speeds.

Suicide is painless...........

G

I've got two slot-1 Pentium boards with VIA chipsets. I'm running a 600E at 900 and a 550E at 803 (I think). Haven't tried to take them any higher, but they run fine now and I don't want to push my luck. I know others who have similar experiences.

Mike

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Completely irrelavent-He has the EB, which is 133FSB stock. I simply stated that I questioned VIA's ability to go much past 133. You 600E is 900 at 133. Your 550 is at 146, and that might be a lucky chipset. I have not heard of anybody running over 150MHz system bus on a VIA chipset, which is what he needs to do. He actually needs to push it up to 200MHz to get to 900, which is possible, but only with the CUSL2, super good memory, a little dab of artic silver under the chipset cooler, and a heatsink on the clock generator.

G

You're wrong about the 600E. It's running at 150. I'm simply responding to your implication that the VIA chipsets may not run well over 133. Don't know where you ever got that idea. I also don't know why you frequently write as if you know more than anyone else. Regardless, I won't waste any more time arguing as it would be like talking to a brick wall.

Mike

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sorry, I didn't do the math right in my head. I should say that I have only heard of a few people that have gotten the VIA to 150, so I assumed that they must be the lucky ones. So his problems are probably do to memory. I'm not used to making a mistake like that, so let me apologize, everyone screws up sooner or later!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yeh, great, that would be 675MHz. Big deal. Push it to 200MHz, at least then you'll have 900, the processor can probably take it, but you'll need Mushkin Rev. 3 Ram to do it.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most of it was in Japanese, so I would think they were probably in Japan. Most Japanese take almost everything they do very seriously, even recreational activities.

G

I have pretty much the same kind of setup as you except that I had to get rid of my 600EB because for some odd reason it would not run stable when I added my Leadtek Geoforce II GTS card. For months I tore my hair out trying figure out why I couldn't get the board to run stable with different combinations of 4in1 & detonator drivers. Clean install after clean install proved fruitless. I finally gave up and brought it into the shop. I couldn't run any Direct 3D games or play any movies on my DVD player but open gl stuff would always run perfectly. Absolutely maddening.

I took them 1 week to finally diagnose that it was CPU related. At first they thought that it was a faulty Intel chip (who knew?). However, when the replacement 600EB came it was just as unstable. Curious thing was that they gave me a 600e loaner and that puppy ran flawlessly (it ran at 660 with no real change in temperature). The tech guy plopped in a 800 EB and it ran real stable as well. The tech guy said that Abit was having some voltage issues with the VT6X4 and the 600EB in particular (I don't really know if this was BS or not) so they gave me the option of keeping the 600e and getting some moolah back or moving up to the 800EB for 30 bucks....

Wanna guess what I did ? ;)

Toyo,

Intel 800 EB on Abit VT6X4
128 MB PC133 CAS 3
Leadtek Winfast Geoforce II GTS
Realmagic DVD Decorder Card with remote
Generic 12X DVD drive
24/4/4 Panasonic CD-R
Soundblaster PCI 512
Maxtor 20.3 gig 7200 ATA 100 drive
Kenwood Dolby Digital 5.1/DTS VR-407 receiver

G

Hey Crashman, & thanx all of u sorry it took sooo long to answer back i was out of town a few days......Crashman u confirmed what i thought ..about the Ram. I took it out left in the 256mb micron it is now stable at 900x150 & kicking ass!!!hehehe thanx alot!!!!To all of u w/ the via mobo's update to the bios, it helped. P.S. not heat prob at all