Can anyone give me a idiot's guide to setting up and
testing my fax services with Windows XP? I'm not even
sure if my modem is fax-capable so I need a way of
finding that out also. Thanks in advance

Windows XP Fax is not installed by default and must be installed from
Control Panel > Add/Remove Windows Components. First, it is necessary that
you have an analog fax modem compatible with Windows XP Fax (see the Windows
XP Hardware Compatibility List) and an analog phone line.

If your installation of Windows XP was from a CD, you will be prompted to
insert the CD and may need to browse to the i386 Folder so the installation
routine can find the necessary files. If your installation files are on the
hard drive, you may need to direct the routine to the i386 Folder there. If
you have applied SP1, these files may have been moved to a different folder
(ServicePackFiles\i386), and you will need to direct the routine to that
folder.

If your installation was performed by an OEM (original equipment
manufacturer), it will be the responsibility of the OEM to supply those
files. Unfortunately, the installation disks supplied by many OEM's do not
contain the necessary files and you will need to contact the OEM to obtain
them. The fax installation files are not available to download from
Microsoft.

Other troubleshooting information here:

http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/winxpfax.htm

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"BostonRS14" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone give me a idiot's guide to setting up and
> testing my fax services with Windows XP? I'm not even
> sure if my modem is fax-capable so I need a way of
> finding that out also. Thanks in advance

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306550
HOW TO: Enable and Configure the Fax Service in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306657
HOW TO: Send a Fax in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306662
HOW TO: Receive a Fax in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306661
HOW TO: Fax a Document from a Windows Program in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306663
HOW TO: Fax a Scanned Document or Image in Windows XP
http://www.slipstick.com/addins/SERVICES/winxpfax.htm
Windows XP Fax

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
Got Blues? - www.badnewsbluesband.com

"BostonRS14" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone give me a idiot's guide to setting up and
> testing my fax services with Windows XP? I'm not even
> sure if my modem is fax-capable so I need a way of
> finding that out also. Thanks in advance

TRENDING THREADS