Registry Key for Duplex Printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

You can change this without editing any registry settings, just right click
on the printer icon and select "Printing Preferences"

If you want to change it from a script its a bit harder because the setting
is stored in a structure (called DEVMODE.)

--
Tony Edgecombe
www.frogmorecs.com/ng

"Todd" <toddm@rahul.net> wrote in message
> Can someone point me to the registry key to set duplex printing as
default?

Todd

On the print server, I have set the printing preferences and defaults set to
duplex printing, but all the workstations still default to single sided.

I was hoping to use a kixtart logon script to set the duplex printing, but
it looks like it's more complicated than that.

Todd

"Tony Edgecombe" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> You can change this without editing any registry settings, just right
click
> on the printer icon and select "Printing Preferences"
>
> If you want to change it from a script its a bit harder because the
setting
> is stored in a structure (called DEVMODE.)
>
> --
> Tony Edgecombe
> www.frogmorecs.com/ng
> Software for printing
>

> "Todd" <toddm@rahul.net> wrote in message
> > Can someone point me to the registry key to set duplex printing as
> default?

Printing Preferences are user specific, so once a user has logged on with a
network printer connected, changing the "defaults" on the print server will
not have any affect.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP

It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.

> On the print server, I have set the printing preferences and defaults set
> duplex printing, but all the workstations still default to single sided.
>
> I was hoping to use a kixtart logon script to set the duplex printing, but
> it looks like it's more complicated than that.
>
> Todd
>

> "Tony Edgecombe" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > You can change this without editing any registry settings, just right
> click
> > on the printer icon and select "Printing Preferences"
> >
> > If you want to change it from a script its a bit harder because the
> setting
> > is stored in a structure (called DEVMODE.)
> >
> > --
> > Tony Edgecombe
> > www.frogmorecs.com/ng
> > Software for printing
> >

> > "Todd" <toddm@rahul.net> wrote in message
> > > Can someone point me to the registry key to set duplex printing as
> > default?

anil_75

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
default duplex printin?

Got the same problem.
Have a Ricoh 1075 network printer, changed duplex as default on print server but when users print the default has not changed to duplex.

Any answers appreciated...

tzw_tonik

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
Happy for anyone to call me out on this. I'm no admin but my response below is based on personal experiences and troubleshooting!

On a domain, where XP users add a printer to their 'Printers and Faxes', the printer driver from the print queue that exists on the Print Server is copied across to the client PC.

If they're printing, lets say a Word document, they may have the permissions to change some of the settings, such as duplex, collation and stapling.

If a user wants to have a setting as default on all of their printing, then the change must be made to the printer shown in 'Printers and Faxes'. Open Printers and Faxes, right click on the Printer and select Properties. Next, click Printing Preferences and make the changes you want there, then Apply, OK to exit.

If you now create a new document and select to print it, you will see that the changes you just made appear as the default options.