Oh dear - I seem to be cooking..

G

(this is heat related - so bare with me)

I've been having problems with my CDRW recently - it'll
only burn at a like 1X speed, and I've been unable to find
out why. I can't remember if the problem arose when I
upgraded to my Atlon setup from my old P3 althought I think
it probably did.
I noticed that on removing the cd's after a burn they were
pretty darn warm to touch, and it occured to me that perhaps
overheating was the prob (don't cd's warp out of shape?..)

Anyway - heres my specs:

Atlon TBird 900
ASUS a7V
Microsoft Windows 2000 Ver 5.00.2195 Service Pack 1
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX
256mb

and when I run Asus Probe I get this:

CPU: 64c - 147f
MB: 39 - 102f

From what I can see here I'm on fire!
Althought contrary to what i see here I do not experiece
any system instability... and I thrash my processor with
heavy 3D rendering work...

My CPU fan is a coolermaster - asus probe says its at
5192rpm.

Other than this I have no other cooling apart from the
powersupply. The Geforce doesn't have a fan either,
and I think they run real hot.

So I guess my questions are:

a) do you think the CD prob could be heat related?
b) is it odd that my system is running this hot?
c) is it odder still that I've not had any problems (bar the cd)?

Thanks for any advice.

MAXER

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A guy I work with has a TBird on a Giga-byte board with no case fans and a crappy powersupply fan. His chip was at 71C. Today we put on some Arctic Silver and it went down to 64C. But he has never had a crash or stability problem. Those chips can handle the heat.

I just think your CDRW is going. Not an uncommon thing at all.

*Warning*
This was posted solely to increase my post count and may not contain any relevant info

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have all most the exact same set up and I would say your CPU is running a little hot.
But It really doesn’t matter if u are not going to overclock. The CPU can run at VERY HIGH temps when running at speck. Your mobo is also about 10F higher then mine, one intake and one exhaust fan would take care of that. If u do want to OC get a better heatsink like the Alapha PAL 6035, FOP38, or the copper hedgehog, Just make sure u get a semi quiet fan, stay away from the delta.
The cool master sucks, I had to run my Tbird900 at stock just to boot into windows.
But if u aren’t going to OC It will probably be fine (kind of a waist since u have a A7V).

I hit 1 gig with my Tbird900 (X10 @ 100fsb), I wanted the keep the FSB stock for maximum stability.
But I doubt the high temps are having anything to do with your CDR not working good.
Try it in another computer, that would be the best way to test it out. Maybe then u could send it back to the manufacture for replacement.
Thx & Cya

G

I have noticed high temps with a different system.

I am running a Celeron 700 and doing nothing demanding, and I can watch my temp go from 70C after start up to over 90. My system temp is around 50C.

I only have a CPU fan and the power supply fan. Do you think I need a case fan? I was also not supplied with any thermal grease, is this going to make a major difference?

What is Arctic Silver? A name brand of thermal grease? Where can I get some? (online overseas shipping).

G

Mike you have some issues. 1st 70-90c is a meltdown I believe you mean (f)fahrenheit. 90f is ok 90c is 194f.
50c is 122f which would be very high for a case temp unless your on the equator with no AC. 100c is the boiling point of water. your sytem temp should be about 25-27c and you cpu should be about 30-35c temps can go much higher but this would be a good baseline. Also get the grease and throw in a 80mm exhaust fan if you have the hole there. Arctic silver is a very good compound to use I think 2cooltek.com has it.

Diemos

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OK everyone, YOU NEED CASE FANS!!! I don't care if what is inside the case. Every single component in your case is giving off heat. That is what happens when you run current through metal, it heats up. Yes the south bridge may give off only 5-7 watts, but so does about 20 others ics' in there. Sorry to rant, but I had a customer come in to my shop the other day with a fried machine and wondered why. He had disabled the PS fan with a twist tie because he didn't like the noise! The didn't even want case fans because of noise. He then proceded to demand I replace all the burned up parts. GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!! The point is, you need to keep that case cool and the only way to do that is throw a couple of fans on there. Even just one intake can reduce temps dramaticlly. Oh yea, there was a question. Yes it sounds like the burner is going out, probably prematurly due to heat. Well there, I'm better now. Thanx for letting me vent, and use case fans!!!!! :) Laterz

P.S. If you can hear the machine the speakers aren't loud enough.

"I yam what I yam!"

TheSandman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey I run four case fans 2 in and 2 out my comp sounds like a jet but it is frekin cool. (not to mention it does not bother me for my 3/4 hearing loss hahahahahaha)

SANDMAN

TRENDING THREADS