Sign in with
Your question

Whats The Best Fan Oil

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2001 6:00:02 AM

My system is just cooking along couldnt be more happy with it, and is fairly quiet as well. but i am thinking of adding about 2 more fans, on top mounted on the case, and a lart 120mm fan blowing in from the side pannel. I know adding these two fans will add a tiny bit of noise to the system, so i thought while i am at it i will put some oil on each of the fans just to make them run that much smoother, can anyone tell me what the best type of oil to use on case fans.?

If you overclock an Intel Processor enough, it will turn into an AMD. True Story.

More about : whats fan oil

a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2001 7:44:15 AM

Singer sewing machine oil seems to be the best for small electric motors, but how do you plan on getting it in and not having it spray back out?

Suicide is painless...........
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2001 8:41:43 AM

Good point, also as for noise reduction.. i dont think it will do you much good.. The movong of the air itsself is the key contributor to the noise you claim to hear.
Also the way the fans are constructed .. you shouldent need any oil..

just my thoughts

Hey man i dont know .. i just think i do !!
Related resources
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
January 25, 2001 9:43:17 AM

If you take off the sticker on top of the fan you ccan sometimes see the metal spindle in the centre use a small amount of synthetic motor oil(or any thin thin oil ) and replace the sticker. Be carefull not to get any on the fan blades cos dust will stick to it likt hell and screw everything up ..... also remember fans are supposed to be sealed units..

M

one of the first UK T-Bird users....
January 25, 2001 4:36:26 PM

Of course with that many fans moving the air around inside your case, why not just pull off the side panel and point a Honeywell Turbofan (desk fan from K-Mart) at it on full blast? That sucker will keep the air moving better than anything any number of case cans can do.

Heh heh.

And on a low setting it isn't too noisy.

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.
January 25, 2001 7:01:13 PM

i use some sort of white grease, the one you find in your CDROM, seems to work

Misu
__'_
!