Differences in connecting to a remote printer queue from a..

April 15, 2004 11:54:51 AM

It seems when we are using the vbs script, it needs an local administration
account to run it first before other users can use the remote printer queue.

We are using the following in our script:
Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")

WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection \\servername\printerqueue
WshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter \\servername\printerqueue

Should we be using the as describe in 314486:
rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry

Can someone explain this behavior?

--
Eric Sabo
NT Administrator

What make and model of printer?

I've not actually used that technique, but using the technique described at
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterAllUsers.htm, we have found that,
for some printer models, an Administrator has to logon at the workstation
(or remotely via Remote Desktop Connection if the workstation is XP) to
complete the driver installation.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP

It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.

news:o h2A3BuIEHA.1140@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

!