Can't overclock Duron650 higher than 800Mhz. Why ?

G

I run my Duron 650 Mhz@800 at 1.7V. It temp is about 50C right now. However, I'm kind of disappointed. When I was writing my first message to the board, my system was running on 250W power supply. Yesterday, I replaced it with 300W hopping that I'd be able to overclock the processor by another 50 to 100Mhz. However, I failed to do so. I pushed the voltage to 1.8V but processor refused to boot up at 850Mhz. When I tried to do the same at 900Mhz, the processor almost get burned because once I turned on the computer after increasing speed to 900Mhz, the computer started beeping which according to the manual (Asus A7V) meant that the processor was overheated. Now, I do not know what is it that I'm doing wrong. With 250W power supply and with a generic heatsink, I had the same results as with brand new (no name) 300W power supply and Chrome Orb heatsink. Why ? Does quality of power supply really matters here. I run my Duron 650 Mhz@800 at 1.7V. It temp is about 50C right now. However, I'm kind of disappointed. When I was writing my first message to the board, my system was running on 250W power supply. Yesterday, I replaced it with 300W hopping that I'd be able to overclock the processor by another 50 to 100Mhz. However, I failed to do so. I pushed the voltage to 1.8V but processor refused to boot up at 850Mhz. When I tried to do the same at 900Mhz, the processor almost get burned because once I turned on the computer after increasing speed to 900Mhz, the computer started beeping which according to the manual (Asus A7V) meant that the processor was overheated. Now, I do not know what is it that I'm doing wrong. With 250W power supply and with a generic heatsink, I had the same results as with brand new (no name) 300W power supply and Chrome Orb heatsink. Why ? Does the quality of power supply really matters here. The power supply that I bought is generic. I could choose between more expensive ($75 Canadian) and less expensive ($45 Canadian). I decieded to buy the less expeniseve one. Can someone tell me what is the diffrence in quality between generic power supplies and branded ones. I've read posts where people claimed to overclock 600Mhz Duron to 950Mhz!!!!! So why can't I ?

G

Sincerely I can't give you an explanation. What I can tell you for sure is that the power supply is NOT the problem here. I have a 700 MHz Duron and Abit mobo, but couldn't get over 850 MHz with my proc. and that frequency with VCore of 1.85 V and Vi/o of 3.4. The temperature in this case is 55-56 C, which i think it's too much. At 900 MHz i get some registry errors. the final conclusion was to stick with the 700 MHz, so temp is about 40 C. Sincerely, when I bought this processor I was sure i'll run it somewhere 950-1000 MHz, and I am VERY dissapointed. I don't now where is the fault, since everyone claims here and there that their Duron ran at least 1.5 times the frequency...