Sign in with
Your question

Need advice for gaming computer

Last response: in Video Games
March 26, 2012 8:17:27 PM

Hello, we are a husband and wife looking for some advice.

We want to purchase a computer that would be good for gaming, specifically for MMO's. We would like to know what the minimum requirements are and what recommendations you may have for us. We would like it to be used or refurbished, due to our environmental beliefs, so older computers are fine.

Any advice you can give will be deeply appreciated. Thank you in advance!

More about : advice gaming computer

March 26, 2012 8:28:07 PM

Hi :) 

I own computer shops in the UK....

Sorry to say but forget old or refurbished, they wont play modern games well, so you will be throwing them away every year or so to get a faster, better gaming one....not very green...

Soooo...with a gaming computer its an easy answer....the MORE you pay the better you get...

You can get gaming (graphics cards) for anything from £30 to £700 ...and that just the one card...not the whole computer...

So pay as much as you can afford and make SURE its got a good gaming card in it...and it should last you for a good few years....

I am talking £1000 plus here by the way.....or equivalent in your local currency...

My company as an example builds gamers machines from £699 to £3000 plus...

Hope this helps :) 

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
March 26, 2012 8:40:28 PM

Most MMO's are not very graphics demanding such as WOW, although guild wars 2 looks like it’s going to have very good graphics. But at the end of the day it comes down to your budget if you give us a price range we could help you look. There are plenty of second-hand gaming rigs on eBay that sell cheap but it’s always a risk buying without a warranty.
m
l
Related resources
March 27, 2012 1:32:34 AM

Don't forget that MMO's are usually much more CPU intensive than GPU intensive. I would go for a i5 2500K and a GTX 560 ti but it depends on your budget (of course).
m
l
March 27, 2012 4:56:37 AM

What is your budget? AMD Phenom series of processors are good processors lineup, and is cheap. Get some decent GPU say a Radeon 5770 or 6850, will work fine.
m
l
March 27, 2012 7:18:37 AM

just small note on the environmental friendliness:
use the latest tech because it tend to drop on power requirements + use quality PSU with good efficiency...

because of the above, I would rather skip on AMD processors because Intel ones are much better on performance/power ratio; as of the GPU, again depending on the budget, you should go with:
ATI - 6xxx series or (even better) 7xxx series
nVidia: 560 or if budget allows, the new beast 680 :D 
m
l
March 27, 2012 7:31:39 AM

you should buy these

i7 2600k @ 3.4 ghz ( can be oc"d to 4.0 ghz)
3*4gb ddr3 ram
antec 750 p.s.u.
a good cooler like hyper master cooler 212 +
asus z68 motherboard because z68 has an edge at gaming.
graaphic card you can choose gtx 560 1gb

if you are intrested i can show you where to buy them cheaply
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
March 28, 2012 1:47:05 AM

I7 is a waste on a gaming machine, virtually no games use more than 4 cores much less hyperthreading.

I5 is plenty cpu for gaming and 560Ti is plenty GPU for just about all MMO's out currently.
m
l
April 7, 2012 6:38:14 AM

popatim said:
I7 is a waste on a gaming machine, virtually no games use more than 4 cores much less hyperthreading.

I5 is plenty cpu for gaming and 560Ti is plenty GPU for just about all MMO's out currently.

90% of the games are not even encoded for quad core processor. In most game, a i7 2700K is about 2-3% more powerfull than a i3 2120.
m
l
April 7, 2012 8:44:26 PM

never buy used computers or peripherals they dont come with a warranty and usually have multiple problems

if it is in your budget get a i5 2500k

i7 2600k has the same performance in games and costs much more

used the saved money on a better gpu like gtx 560

if you want to buy a cheap system go with an i3
and a ati 6790
m
l
!