Sign in with
Your question

How doomed am I with this laptop?

Last response: in Video Games
March 27, 2012 12:39:50 AM

Now before someone berates me for gaming on a laptop (and the one I have currently ain't really made for gaming) can I just say that I have been able to play most modern games on my laptop with little to no problems (except for over-heating after 2+ hours, which I promtly cure with shutting it down).

However, with the imminent arrival of Diablo 3, I want to make sure that I can play this long-awaited game without having to play on low setting and 10 fps.

The current Minimum Requirements for Diablo 3 are:

Intel Pentium® D 2.8 GHz -or- AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4400+
NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800 GT -or- ATI Radeon™ X1950 Pro or better

And my current set-up is:

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU 28700 @ 2.53 GHz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670

Basically what I'm here to ask is 2 things:
1) Can someone recommend me a couple good laptop graphics card that would allow me to play D3 on without having to use low setting, that is UNDER $175-$200?
2) If I get a new graphics card, will I be able to play without problems?

Thanks in advance :love: 

More about : doomed laptop

a c 249 D Laptop
March 27, 2012 12:49:16 AM

Hi :) 

A couple of thoughts...

Even if you DO find an upgraded graphics card that will fit in your lappy (very unlikely), HOW are you going to cope with the EXTRA heat if it doesnt cope now ?

Second thought....for Diablo 3...look at the RECOMMENDED requirements NOT the minimum.....then think again.... I can see it playing at around 2 fps even with a better card......

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
March 27, 2012 12:54:49 AM

Recommended requirements are:

Intel® Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 or better

Isn't what I have better? (other than the graphics card)

And when I say it gets hot, I don't mean to the point where it gets damaged or shuts off automatically, I just mean there's a noticeable difference in temperature and I panic and shut it off. Most blizzard games never give me this problem anyway.
m
l
Related resources
!