Duron 750 @ 950

G

Hi
I oc my duron 750 first to 850, what gave a very stable system. But when I tried 900, it wouldn't boot. At 950 everything works fine, but after an hour the temperature got around 55°C and I got a few vxd errors (blue screens).
My cpu voltage is now 1.85v (the highest)

What can I do to get it to 1GHz (stable)?
And does the voltage also affects the temperature or is it only the frequency?

sure these are newbie questions, but plz help me

ANteK

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You might need more CPU cooling to achieve stability. What are you using for a heatsink and fan? Did you use good thermal paste? Do you have case fans? Intake fan at the front of the case? Exhaust fan at the rear (near the CPU)?

Try running the system at 950 mhz with the case cover removed. Check the system for stability and monitor the temperatures. If the system indeed runs stable then you KNOW you need more cooling.

Every system/CPU is different. For me, I have to get my Duron below about 51 degrees for stability at 1000 mhz (and I'm talking peak temperature). I can't do that with the my current case with only the two fans I am using. I have to run the system at 950 or lower. I run at 900 just to be safe. With the case open I can run at 1000 mhz all day, in fact, I have run it for 3 straight days before I closed the case. No crashes or problems. Later I will try better case fans or I will modify the case.

G

I use a standard heatsink (that should cool to 1.2GHz. And with my case off, I ran it for two days @945 rockstable (temperature about 48°C). But with my case on, it now still runs quite allright, but the temp. gets to 57°C.
Would a superorb be a solution, or should I install other fans like case fans? And how do you use that cooling paste and does it have much effect?

grtz

ANteK

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Like I said, every system is different. If it's stable at 57 degrees overclocked then you are one of the lucky ones. If it's not stable then you need more cooling. Case fans would help alot. Might be all you need.

I originally had just a front intake case fan. Adding the rear exhaust fan lowered my CPU temperatures by about 3 degrees.

G

Where exactly do I place the case fan? Is it supposed to get the warm air out of the case, of could air inside?
Do you just stick it against the back of the case?

tnx for your previous answers

ANteK

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
A standard PC case has provisions for two 80 mm fans, one at the lower front (sometimes hidden behind I/O card support rails), and one in the middle rear where you should see 4 screw holes surrounding a circular vent area. The fans mount inside the case at those two places.

The idea is cool the inside. The best way is to constantly exchange the warm inside air with cool outside air. Ideally you have as many intake fans as exhaust fans.

If you are in the USA you can get case fans at Radio Shack.

TRENDING THREADS