Redirecting a USB Printer in a RDC Session

I have a client with a new HP LaserJet 1012 USB-connected printer. He is unable to get his host computer to see this printer from his home computer whenever he connects to the office machine with Remote Desktop Connection. Both systems are identical, running Windows XP Pro SP1, with all the latest patches and updates. And both systems have the same printer installed locally. When I connect to the host machine from my Win 2K system ALL of my parallel-port connected printers are redirected during the session but NOT my one USB printer. This leads me to believe that this has something to do with the printer being a USB-connected device.

Anyone have some thoughts?

Mark Phillips

Found my own answer in the KB: Article 302361 "Printers That Use Ports That Do Not Begin With COM, LPT, or USB Are Not Redirected in a Remote Desktop or Terminal Services Session." Basically, this offers a hack to allow all ports to be redirected from the client machine.

MP