overclocking a 1.2GHz?

dannyaa

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2001
OK so running on a KT133A chipset motherboard (it will either be an ASUS A7V133 or ABIT KT7A-RAID), 256MB DIMM RAM from Crucial Memory, and an AMD 1.2GHz Thunderbird running at 133MHz FSB, I am considering overclocking. I have never overclocked before. If I was going to, I want to know this:

Would it be completely safe? I just bough this system and want to take no chances in frying it because I am not rich or anything. If I blow it, its blown.

If it is safe, How far could I push it but still be COMPLETELY safe? Like 1.3, or 1.5, or what? How far do you think I could go without having stability problems or risking ruining my new equipment?

Is it worth doing?

And anything else you might want to tell me...

Thanks alot!

flavio321

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
both of those mobo's are awsome for oc'ing so oc'ing shouldn't be too hard. first, you'll need some nice ass heatsink. fop32, 38 are great if you can live with the loud delta fan noise... if you want to go crazy you could get yourself a peltier system and oc it to 1500mhz!!! but that going too far for a rookie.
go to the bios and check what mobo you got. if you have soft-menu then you have an ABIT. this mobo will let you set your clock multiplier to 12.5 i think. in that case you'll have a whopping 50mhz increase!!! if 12.0 is the max allowed just up the bus speed. try uping it gradually starting from 112mhz. so if you have 12.0x112= 1344mhz

If you can't beat 'em kill 'em

G

If you have a new athlon (version c) then do not set the multiplier to 12.5, (you will be trying to run it at 12.5X133 = 1666Mhz) I suggest running some program at each multiplier increase (go up in 0.5's) to stress the processor and system to test the stability. if you have a version b then, by unlocking and reducing the multiplier ( to 9.5X133 = 1200Mhz) using the pencil across the L1 bridges, you should beable to run at 133Mhz fsb and work your way up from there. I wouldn't suggest going any higher than 1400 and even then you will need a decent hsf. I suggest the taisol CGK742092 which is quiet and v effective.
Good Luck

G

You can overclock also in a other very easy way.
OC the whole motherboard. put them on 110% (or try 112%).
So everything in your system is than overclocked included PCI cards are getting more speed and temp.
10% from 1.2Gb = 120Mhz + 1,2 = 1.32Gb total, but keep the 133Mhz FSB or OC easy this C modell to a higher FSB.
Is that enough for you ?
I have this done all my live, with all my sytems that i have got (5). with enough fan in/outs coolers mounted, never a problem was occur. But for shore keep the heat alarm on in your bios and software, 60 degr. Celcius is still acceptable.