PS3 Keeps dying

RDGnome

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Whenever I play my PS3, it completely dies/shut downs after about 10-20 minutes, then whenever I turn it on after, it dies straight after turning it on.
It will be running and then the power will completely cut out, no flashing lights or anything. The red light goes out and the only way to get it to turn back on again is to unplug it from the mains and then plug it back in again. Sometimes this doesn't work straight away as well, and it takes a while for the red light to reappear.
This never used to happen but has started recently.
I've heard it might be an overheating problem but I have tried isolating it and even running a fan right next to it and into the vents.
Its getting really annoying now.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Charlie_west

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
It may be over heating they don't always show the lights... as you said it shuts down right after you turn it back on really does sound like over heating maybe check your internal fans are working get a can of air and blow it out maybe.

Charlie.

csiegle56

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010

Just so you know many heating problems cannot be solved by simply putting a fan next to the vent. A CPU has something called a TDP(thermal desighn power) meaning it needs a heatsink that can absorb heat at a certain rate depending how much wattage it is consuming. If the thermal paste has dried out or the product was mishandled (dropped) and the piece of copper absorbing the heat which then travels down a heat pipe to be dissipated by a fan in the vent has been damaged it wont really matter how much air flow it has it will overheat just the same. Not to mention a fan on the outside does not exactly pull that much more heat out of the case.

Time to get it serviced.

If it is no longer under warranty, then I would take it apart and clean out any and all dust. If it still dies, then see if you can remove the heatsinks, clean off the thermal paste from the heatsink and the chips, then apply new thermal paste like Arctic Silver 5.