Fax Viewing

I have a problem trying to view a fax in Microsoft Fax
Console 5.1 (service pack 1). I can send the fax with no
problem, but when I try to view the fax in the sent items
folder it gives me an error message that "image file is
stored in an unsupported format or format varient". It
trys to open the fax in Microsoft Image Composer and with
but gives me the error message. I am using Windows XP Home
Edition. I can also print the fax with no problem.
3 answers Last reply
More about viewing

    What is Microsoft Image Composer?
    There are many causes for this problem. Most often, this problem arises
    because some other imaging application that you installed has set itself as
    the default viewer for TIF files. To view faxes from the Fax Console, the
    Windows Imaging and Fax viewer must be your default viewer for TIF files.
    You can easily restore that setting in Windows Explorer > Folder Options.
    File Types. For most users the command line should read:

    "rundll32.exe <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen %1"

    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "SKY" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a problem trying to view a fax in Microsoft Fax
    > Console 5.1 (service pack 1). I can send the fax with no
    > problem, but when I try to view the fax in the sent items
    > folder it gives me an error message that "image file is
    > stored in an unsupported format or format varient". It
    > trys to open the fax in Microsoft Image Composer and with
    > but gives me the error message. I am using Windows XP Home
    > Edition. I can also print the fax with no problem.

    Didn't MS Image Composer come with old versions of MSOffice... like Office
    97...I'd have to pull out old CDs and look - I have them all going back to
    Office95.. I'm sure I've come across it somewhere in the dark distant
    past... maybe as recent (??!!) as Office 2000! For some strange reason FP98
    and 2000 are coming to mind.
    www.coribright.com

    > What is Microsoft Image Composer?
    > There are many causes for this problem. Most often, this problem arises
    > because some other imaging application that you installed has set itself
    as
    > the default viewer for TIF files. To view faxes from the Fax Console, the
    > Windows Imaging and Fax viewer must be your default viewer for TIF files.
    > You can easily restore that setting in Windows Explorer > Folder Options.
    > File Types. For most users the command line should read:
    >
    > "rundll32.exe <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen
    %1"

    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "SKY" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a problem trying to view a fax in Microsoft Fax
    > > Console 5.1 (service pack 1). I can send the fax with no
    > > problem, but when I try to view the fax in the sent items
    > > folder it gives me an error message that "image file is
    > > stored in an unsupported format or format varient". It
    > > trys to open the fax in Microsoft Image Composer and with
    > > but gives me the error message. I am using Windows XP Home
    > > Edition. I can also print the fax with no problem.

    May have. I remember Picture Editor coming with later versions of Office. It
    was pretty unruly, too, and set itself as the default.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Cari (MS MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    > Didn't MS Image Composer come with old versions of MSOffice... like Office
    > 97...I'd have to pull out old CDs and look - I have them all going back to
    > Office95.. I'm sure I've come across it somewhere in the dark distant
    > past... maybe as recent (??!!) as Office 2000! For some strange reason
    FP98
    > and 2000 are coming to mind.
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > What is Microsoft Image Composer?
    > > There are many causes for this problem. Most often, this problem arises
    > > because some other imaging application that you installed has set itself
    > as
    > > the default viewer for TIF files. To view faxes from the Fax Console,
    the
    > > Windows Imaging and Fax viewer must be your default viewer for TIF
    files.
    > > You can easily restore that setting in Windows Explorer > Folder
    Options.
    > > File Types. For most users the command line should read:
    > >
    > > "rundll32.exe <drive>:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen
    > %1"
    > >
    > > --
    > > Russ Valentine
    > > [MVP-Outlook]
    > > "SKY" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have a problem trying to view a fax in Microsoft Fax
    > > > Console 5.1 (service pack 1). I can send the fax with no
    > > > problem, but when I try to view the fax in the sent items
    > > > folder it gives me an error message that "image file is
    > > > stored in an unsupported format or format varient". It
    > > > trys to open the fax in Microsoft Image Composer and with
    > > > but gives me the error message. I am using Windows XP Home
    > > > Edition. I can also print the fax with no problem.

Fax Microsoft Error Message Windows XP