Is my PC capable of playing newer games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

videonut97

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012
Hey all. These are my computer specs:

Processor: AMD Turion II Dual-Core Mobile M500 2.20 GHz
System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Installed RAM: 8GB
Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200
Approx. Total Video Memory: 3119 MB

I was wondering if this computer would be able to handle newer games like AC: Revelations and CoD MW3 at low settings, since I don't care about high graphics a whole lot while playing. Before you say anything, I must say that I was able to run Skyrim at low settings fine. I don't really have a budget for buying a new computer, but I was just wondering whether buying games like the above would be a waste of money for my PC or not.

Solution
Your limit to new games is actually dependent upon DirectX support - I believe the 4200 supports DirectX 9 - any later requirements (we're up to DirectX 11) and you'll need to upgrade to run at all. Your frame rates will not be the greatest - depending on the game maybe as low as 15fps which in my realms is unacceptable but I was gaming on a laptop similar to your specs until a few months ago - it can be done just don't expect wonders.

desolation0

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
The 4200M really can't play any of the even modestly decent graphic games that have come out since say, 2008, except probably the FIFA soccer games. You could get lucky with a few titles though. Skyrim, for instance, is based on an older engine, so it has fairly good ability to cover lower settings with low powered gear. It also doesn't rely as much on quick framerates to seem smooth as some FPS run into. Try getting some of the older AAA titles like Team Fortress 2 running since it's free to play, and go from there. Unfortunately upgrading laptops is mostly a matter of buying a new laptop when it comes to graphics/cpu. One way or another, start saving up for a replacement.

P.S. demos can do wonders for checking compatibility, if you don't mind the download time

jewie27

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

Easiest way is to check release date of your laptop vs the release date of the games you want to play. They should be relatively close. If the game is a lot newer than your PC, than it's time to upgrade or buy a new one. 4 year difference between the two is a good indicator to upgrade.

Your limit to new games is actually dependent upon DirectX support - I believe the 4200 supports DirectX 9 - any later requirements (we're up to DirectX 11) and you'll need to upgrade to run at all. Your frame rates will not be the greatest - depending on the game maybe as low as 15fps which in my realms is unacceptable but I was gaming on a laptop similar to your specs until a few months ago - it can be done just don't expect wonders.

Solution

videonut97

Honorable
Mar 28, 2012

Ok, thanks. I'm not really looking for anything good-looking graphics-wise. All I care about is whether I can play it at all. I'll go ahead and compare DirectX support.

Status
Not open for further replies.