How To Install The F-10 Partition On Armada 1750 ?

Hello again, folks. I think I have determined that I need to install
the F-10 System Partition on my new hard drive, for the system to
boot, and to recognize the new HD.

I have gone to the HP site, and downloaded the SP9962 file, and made
the floppy disk from that file.

The problem is, that when I run the floppy, and choose to Manage The
Diagnostics Partition, and then choose to Install Diagnostics
Partition, the program reports back that there is not enough room on
my HD to install it. It says that it needs at least 5Meg of free
space.

I've tried several ways to get the partition installed... everything
from deleting the entire 4.1 Gig partition, creating a new partition,
formatting the partition, and then running the program again, but it
still says the same thing. Not enough space. But how can that be,
when there is nothing there, just the MBR???

Could someone please tell me how to get that F-10 partition installed?

Many Thanks!!!

Chaser

Eugene

Mumbato wrote:

> Hello again, folks. I think I have determined that I need to install
> the F-10 System Partition on my new hard drive, for the system to
> boot, and to recognize the new HD.
>
> I have gone to the HP site, and downloaded the SP9962 file, and made
> the floppy disk from that file.
>
> The problem is, that when I run the floppy, and choose to Manage The
> Diagnostics Partition, and then choose to Install Diagnostics
> Partition, the program reports back that there is not enough room on
> my HD to install it. It says that it needs at least 5Meg of free
> space.
>
> I've tried several ways to get the partition installed... everything
> from deleting the entire 4.1 Gig partition, creating a new partition,
> formatting the partition, and then running the program again, but it
> still says the same thing. Not enough space. But how can that be,
> when there is nothing there, just the MBR???
>
> Could someone please tell me how to get that F-10 partition installed?
>
> Many Thanks!!!
>
> Chaser
Well first you don't need the setup program to recognize a new hard drive,
the bios will auto detect. How big of a drive have you installed? maybe
its too big and your hitting a limitation causing it to not be detected
properly which would prevent the setup/daig partition from installing.

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:53:06 +0000, Eugene <nospam@columbus.rr.com>
wrote:

>> Could someone please tell me how to get that F-10 partition installed?
>>
>> Many Thanks!!!
>>
>> Chaser

>Well first you don't need the setup program to recognize a new hard drive,
>the bios will auto detect. How big of a drive have you installed? maybe
>its too big and your hitting a limitation causing it to not be detected
>properly which would prevent the setup/daig partition from installing.

As I said in the other reply to you, WinXP Pro is now up and running,
thanks to your advice and knowledge regarding the Fn-F11.

However, for my own experience and learning, I would still like to
install the setup/diag partition on the drive. It is only a small
4.1Giger, so I'm not sure what the issue is with the softpac not
installing the partition.

Have you any other ideas regarding this particular issue of the
program reporting "Not enough room on the HD"? There is about 3Gigs
still free on the drive....

Chaser

Eugene

Mumbato wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:53:06 +0000, Eugene <nospam@columbus.rr.com>
> wrote:
>

>>> Could someone please tell me how to get that F-10 partition installed?
>>>
>>> Many Thanks!!!
>>>
>>> Chaser
>

>>Well first you don't need the setup program to recognize a new hard drive,
>>the bios will auto detect. How big of a drive have you installed? maybe
>>its too big and your hitting a limitation causing it to not be detected
>>properly which would prevent the setup/daig partition from installing.
>
> As I said in the other reply to you, WinXP Pro is now up and running,
> thanks to your advice and knowledge regarding the Fn-F11.
>
> However, for my own experience and learning, I would still like to
> install the setup/diag partition on the drive. It is only a small
> 4.1Giger, so I'm not sure what the issue is with the softpac not
> installing the partition.
>
> Have you any other ideas regarding this particular issue of the
> program reporting "Not enough room on the HD"? There is about 3Gigs
> still free on the drive....
>
> Chaser
The setup program needs to be in a specific location on the drive, if that
location isn't free then it will fail. The documented/supported method is
to install the partition on a blank hard disk so it can claim its space
then create any additional partitions, however I have heard claims that
using a program such as partition magic and moving the beginning of the os
partition up a few M to free space at the beginning of the drive will allow
the f10 setup to work.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 21:23:47 -0500, in alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq Mumbato
<mumbatoNO-SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:53:06 +0000, Eugene <nospam@columbus.rr.com>
>wrote:
>

>>> Could someone please tell me how to get that F-10 partition installed?
>>>
>>> Many Thanks!!!
>>>
>>> Chaser
>

>>Well first you don't need the setup program to recognize a new hard drive,
>>the bios will auto detect. How big of a drive have you installed? maybe
>>its too big and your hitting a limitation causing it to not be detected
>>properly which would prevent the setup/daig partition from installing.
>
>As I said in the other reply to you, WinXP Pro is now up and running,
>thanks to your advice and knowledge regarding the Fn-F11.
>
>However, for my own experience and learning, I would still like to
>install the setup/diag partition on the drive. It is only a small
>4.1Giger, so I'm not sure what the issue is with the softpac not
>installing the partition.
>
>Have you any other ideas regarding this particular issue of the
>program reporting "Not enough room on the HD"? There is about 3Gigs
>still free on the drive....
>
>Chaser

Creating the diagnostic partition only works if there are no existing
partitions on the the disk, otherwise you get a "not enough space"
error.

--
SSS,
Steve / Strathclyde / Scotland.

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 23:09:27 +0000, Eugene <nospam@columbus.rr.com>
wrote:

>The setup program needs to be in a specific location on the drive, if that
>location isn't free then it will fail. The documented/supported method is
>to install the partition on a blank hard disk so it can claim its space
>then create any additional partitions, however I have heard claims that
>using a program such as partition magic and moving the beginning of the os
>partition up a few M to free space at the beginning of the drive will allow
>the f10 setup to work.

I have another spare 6Gig HD, and I'll give that method a try. The
way I tried it before, was to first partition the drive, leaving about
6Meg of space free for the System partition, so that's probably what I
did wrong. I'll give it a try later on today, and report back.

Thanks once again!! BTW, the reason I like this 1750 is because of
the speakers, and the quality of sound that they produce. I have not
heard another laptop, in this price range, that can compare!

Chaser

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 03:41:29 GMT, Steve <sss@address.is.invalid>
wrote:

>Creating the diagnostic partition only works if there are no existing
>partitions on the the disk, otherwise you get a "not enough space"
>error.

Thank you, Steve, I'll give it another shot later on today. I
appreciate your effort and time!! :)

Chaser