Bad tbird 700 for overclocking?

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have a tbird 700 on an A7V mobo and the highest it will go is 800 MHz. I have a Globalwin FOP38 and some generic Thermal paste which cools a tad better than the gewy pink stuff that comes on the bottom. I get about 39 to 40 degrees celsius at 700 and 40 to 41 degrees celsius at 800. But when I put my multiplier up to 8.5 it boots into windows and promptly crashes. Even when voltage is up to 1.85. I connected the L1 bridges with a pencil and I'm wondering if I just have a limited processor or if I got one of those special metalic pens and connected the bridges it'd do better. BTW I also put up my IO voltage and it did not help with overclocking like the A7V mobo said. @ 800 MHz I'm rock stable and crash just the same or less than at 700. Maybe the speed means I'm not clicking during processes or something. Beats me

HELP!!!
:)

TheSandman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well it sounds to me like you got a bum cpu for overclockin at least. The contacts at L1 should be good though try 9x multiplyer and see what happens if you are good at 900 then the contacts are not all good (ie just one or two are not conected).

SANDMAN

G

Is your core green or blue? Green ones are Al based and won't go too high. None the less, 800mhz sucks and you've got one hell of a heatsink/fan.

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well thanks for your help. I think you confirmed my fears I have a pewpy CPU that just doesn't want to go any higher. If I can get one of those special metalic pens I'm going to reconnect the bridges with that and try again and if its no go I'll sell the CPU to someone and buy a 1.2 GHz so I won't have to even try to overclock.