0V3rcl0cK (need help)

G

Here`s the deal:

Motherboard: KT7-Raid
CPU: Duron 800
300 watts

I wanted to make a overclock to 1gh, i have a good heatsink.
I don`t know much about overclock, but from what i`ve seen, i`ll have two:

1-Close the L1 bridges
2-Increase the CPU voltage to 1.8v
3-Increase the FSB speed to 133, and maitain the Multiplier 8x

Q1: Am i doing anythinh wrong?
Q2: Could i instead, mantain the FSB speed, and increase the multiplier to 10x?
Q3: I have PC-100 memory. i`ve heard that if u increase the FSB speed to 133, i would
have to drecrease the memory speed to compensate, but i was unable to find the setting
in the bios to do so.
Q4:What do these bios settings? (though they are both locked): CPU FSB/PCI CLOCK and CPU FSB PLUS

Thx

§hadow_War
:cool:

flavio321

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
you don't have to decrese the memory bandwith at all. and start with the default voltage(1.7) and use the clock multiplier until it doesn't boot or post. then increase the voltage in .05 increments until it's stable. afte you played around with the multipier then increase the fsb, try not to touch the memory speed. you would have been better off with a pc-133...
if you increas the fsb instead of the multiplier, generally your entire peripheral will benefit and it'll run better than just playing with your multipliers.
e.i 9.5x105= 1045mhz and 10.5x100=1050mhz. the first scenerio will overall be better

If you can't beat 'em kill 'em
athlon "SLOTA" thunderbird 700@1050mhz

G

i tried to close the L1s two times with a pencil.
when i booted, if i changed the multiplier, it wouldn`t do nothing, i increased slightly the FSB speed, managing to get a 840 =) lol...

§hadow_War

flavio321

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
get yourself a condutive pen. whatever pencil you are using is not doing the job. the graphite has to conduct enough electricity to unlock it. use a 5h pencil if not, like i said get a conductive pencil at your local hardware store.

If you can't beat 'em kill 'em
athlon "SLOTA" thunderbird 700@1050mhz

G

Shadow: for one the Abit KT7, not the KT7A, will not run the FSB at 133mhz. It will allow the memory to run at 133mhz+, but the KT133 chipset on the ABIT KT7 board will not go much past 105mhz, maybe 110mhz. You should be able to get your Duron 800 to 945mhz with the FSB at 105mhz and the multipler at 9, so 9x105=945mhz. You need to manually adjust them in the BIOS, not just pencil the L1 bridges. Get a nice soft lead to close the brides, most soft lead drawing pencils contain lots of graphite for good conductivity. If you can't get it, clean it off and get a magnifier glass and light to see it better and try again. I have heard some boards and CPU's are more sensitive than others and may not work well with the L1 bridge overclock method.

G

thx guys.
im currentlry running at 950 (9.5*100), because when i increase the FSB, the computer crashed (maybe due to a memmory prob i had before 2) anyway, i`m not using 10*100, because windows ME gives a blue protection error when it initializes (any sugestions?)...

§hadow_War

G

oh, i forgot
cpu temperature about 54/55 is it too hot?

§hadow_War

TheSandman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Have you upped the cpu core voltage back to 1.8 or 1.85 if not that may help and you may want to try more case fans to reduce the temp a little.

SANDMAN