Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Add printer wizard does not respond

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 3:36:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

When I click on add printer in Windows XP PRO nothing
happens. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?
Thanks for any help I can get!!
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 3:53:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Hi! THis is also happening to me. I remember installing
windows updates, then all of a sudden, print does not
work. In IE, when I click File / Print, i get an error. My
previously installed printers have also disappeared.

Please, help!

>-----Original Message-----
>When I click on add printer in Windows XP PRO nothing
>happens. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?
>Thanks for any help I can get!!
>.
>
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 4:21:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

>-----Original Message-----
>Hi! THis is also happening to me. I remember installing
>windows updates, then all of a sudden, print does not
>work. In IE, when I click File / Print, i get an error.
My
>previously installed printers have also disappeared.
>
>Please, help!
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>When I click on add printer in Windows XP PRO nothing
>>happens. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?
>>Thanks for any help I can get!!
>>.
>>
>.My originally installed printers disappeared also. I
tried "net start spooler" and a system restore neither
one worked.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
April 19, 2004 4:42:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Hi Wayne,

I re-installed windows xp pro, and that fixed it.
I hope it will work for you.

pia

>-----Original Message-----
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>Hi! THis is also happening to me. I remember installing
>>windows updates, then all of a sudden, print does not
>>work. In IE, when I click File / Print, i get an error.
>My
>>previously installed printers have also disappeared.
>>
>>Please, help!
>>
>>>-----Original Message-----
>>>When I click on add printer in Windows XP PRO nothing
>>>happens. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?
>>>Thanks for any help I can get!!
>>>.
>>>
>>.My originally installed printers disappeared also. I
>tried "net start spooler" and a system restore neither
>one worked.
>>
>.
>
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 2:55:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

One of the System Files has become corrupted..... from the command prompt,
type

sfc /scannow
(note the space between the c and the /)

sfc is the System File Checker.... it will replace any System Files that are
corrupted. After the check reboot and try the Add Printer Wizard again.

Cari
www.coribright.com

"wayne" <wlee@magnacare.com> wrote in message
news:11c801c4263d$36b5c840$a101280a@phx.gbl...
> When I click on add printer in Windows XP PRO nothing
> happens. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?
> Thanks for any help I can get!!
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 7:07:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

>-----Original Message-----
>One of the System Files has become corrupted..... from
the command prompt,
>type
>
>sfc /scannow
>(note the space between the c and the /)
>
>sfc is the System File Checker.... it will replace any
System Files that are
>corrupted. After the check reboot and try the Add
Printer Wizard again.
>
>Cari
>www.coribright.com
>
>"wayne" <wlee@magnacare.com> wrote in message
>news:11c801c4263d$36b5c840$a101280a@phx.gbl...
>> When I click on add printer in Windows XP PRO nothing
>> happens. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?
>> Thanks for any help I can get!!
>
>
>Thank you very much Cari!! That worked out fine.
I really appreciate your help, I didn't want to have to
re-install XP.
>
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 12:35:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

You're very welcome. Happy printing!
--
Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
www.coribright.com

"Wayne" <wlee@magnacare.com> wrote in message
news:25b501c427ed$128d5080$a601280a@phx.gbl...
>
> >Thank you very much Cari!! That worked out fine.
> I really appreciate your help, I didn't want to have to
> re-install XP.
> >
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 4:16:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I'm affraid "scannow" did not work in my case. Wizard keeps saying that it cannot find the driver for my printer. The default driver doesn't work or even the latest driver cd from HP. My printer is hp psc 750xi and windows xp suddenly stopped recogizing it a few weeks ago.
Anonymous
April 26, 2004 2:34:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Try a complete uninstall and reinstall.... then download a new set of
drivers from the HP website...the first item at
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product...

(I know, I'm sorry it's 60.62mb too!)

Uninstall and reinstall instructions at:
http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article%20One.htm

--
Cari
MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
www.coribright.com
"T-Rock" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:816A7F4C-44BE-4EF0-95B8-CFFE462EE145@microsoft.com...
> I'm affraid "scannow" did not work in my case. Wizard keeps saying that
> it cannot find the driver for my printer. The default driver doesn't work
> or even the latest driver cd from HP. My printer is hp psc 750xi and
> windows xp suddenly stopped recogizing it a few weeks ago.
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 5:01:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

I have tried following your last suggestion as close as I can but still something is blocking the Microsoft wizard from seeing the driver for my printer, either from the cd rum or the HP web site. The funny thing is that the wizard recognizes that it is an 750ix that is to be installed but it says that it cannot fine the correct driver anywhere. Following the installation procedure from hp on-line it says that the installation is incomplete then it takes me around in circls again.
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 1:34:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

If you are still having this problem I suggest disconnnecting the printer
from your computer, then trying the process at
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/AddNewFails.htm and
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm.

This should give you a "clean" system as far as printing is concerned.

Then follow the instructions for installing the printer at
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=589....

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP

It is perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.


"T-Rock" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:82208FC2-4CF8-4FE4-8223-E986F8F6DB6A@microsoft.com...
> I have tried following your last suggestion as close as I can but still
something is blocking the Microsoft wizard from seeing the driver for my
printer, either from the cd rum or the HP web site. The funny thing is that
the wizard recognizes that it is an 750ix that is to be installed but it
says that it cannot fine the correct driver anywhere. Following the
installation procedure from hp on-line it says that the installation is
incomplete then it takes me around in circls again.
August 25, 2008 3:25:28 PM

I had the same problem.
sfc /scannow - still works! Thank you!!!



Quote:
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

>-----Original Message-----
>One of the System Files has become corrupted..... from
the command prompt,
>type
>
>sfc /scannow
>(note the space between the c and the /)
>
>sfc is the System File Checker.... it will replace any
System Files that are
>corrupted. After the check reboot and try the Add
Printer Wizard again.
>
>Cari
>www.coribright.com
>
>"wayne" <wlee@magnacare.com> wrote in message
>news:11c801c4263d$36b5c840$a101280a@phx.gbl...
>> When I click on add printer in Windows XP PRO nothing
>> happens. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?
>> Thanks for any help I can get!!
>
>
>Thank you very much Cari!! That worked out fine.
I really appreciate your help, I didn't want to have to
re-install XP.
>

!