Add printer wizard does not respond

When I click on add printer in Windows XP PRO nothing
happens. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?
Thanks for any help I can get!!
11 answers Last reply
More about printer wizard respond

    Hi! THis is also happening to me. I remember installing
    windows updates, then all of a sudden, print does not
    work. In IE, when I click File / Print, i get an error. My
    previously installed printers have also disappeared.

    Please, help!

    tried "net start spooler" and a system restore neither
    one worked.

    Hi Wayne,

    I re-installed windows xp pro, and that fixed it.
    I hope it will work for you.

    pia

    One of the System Files has become corrupted..... from the command prompt,
    type

    sfc /scannow
    (note the space between the c and the /)

    sfc is the System File Checker.... it will replace any System Files that are
    corrupted. After the check reboot and try the Add Printer Wizard again.

    Cari
    www.coribright.com

    "wayne" <wlee@magnacare.com> wrote in message
    > When I click on add printer in Windows XP PRO nothing
    > happens. Does anyone have a solution for this problem?
    > Thanks for any help I can get!!

    I really appreciate your help, I didn't want to have to
    re-install XP.

    You're very welcome. Happy printing!

    > >Thank you very much Cari!! That worked out fine.
    > I really appreciate your help, I didn't want to have to
    > re-install XP.

    I'm affraid "scannow" did not work in my case. Wizard keeps saying that it cannot find the driver for my printer. The default driver doesn't work or even the latest driver cd from HP. My printer is hp psc 750xi and windows xp suddenly stopped recogizing it a few weeks ago.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Try a complete uninstall and reinstall.... then download a new set of
    drivers from the HP website...the first item at
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=58917&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&os=228

    (I know, I'm sorry it's 60.62mb too!)

    Uninstall and reinstall instructions at:

    Cari
    www.coribright.com
    "T-Rock" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm affraid "scannow" did not work in my case. Wizard keeps saying that
    > it cannot find the driver for my printer. The default driver doesn't work
    > or even the latest driver cd from HP. My printer is hp psc 750xi and
    > windows xp suddenly stopped recogizing it a few weeks ago.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I have tried following your last suggestion as close as I can but still something is blocking the Microsoft wizard from seeing the driver for my printer, either from the cd rum or the HP web site. The funny thing is that the wizard recognizes that it is an 750ix that is to be installed but it says that it cannot fine the correct driver anywhere. Following the installation procedure from hp on-line it says that the installation is incomplete then it takes me around in circls again.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    If you are still having this problem I suggest disconnnecting the printer
    from your computer, then trying the process at
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/AddNewFails.htm and
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/CleanPrinterDrivers.htm.

    This should give you a "clean" system as far as printing is concerned.

    Then follow the instructions for installing the printer at
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=58917&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bpu04835.

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP

    > I have tried following your last suggestion as close as I can but still
    something is blocking the Microsoft wizard from seeing the driver for my
    printer, either from the cd rum or the HP web site. The funny thing is that
    the wizard recognizes that it is an 750ix that is to be installed but it
    says that it cannot fine the correct driver anywhere. Following the
    installation procedure from hp on-line it says that the installation is
    incomplete then it takes me around in circls again.
  11. I had the same problem.
    sfc /scannow - still works! Thank you!!!

    Quote:

Printers Microsoft Windows XP