Will GTA IV Run Well?

Hello, I am wondering if my PC can run GTA IV. I've seen the minimum and recommended requirements, but I am still not convinced rather or not it can play on medium settings with good fps.

I only want to play it on 1024 x 768 or my maximum resolution 1280 x 1024.
I would only want to play it on medium texture detail, and probably medium everything else.

My PC specs are: (Note these are taking from Canyourunit.com when I scanned if I could run it.)
CPU:AMD Phenom(tm) 9750 Quad-Core Processor

CPU Speed: 2.4 GHz Performance Rated at: 4.80 GHz

RAM: 3 GB RAM (I have 4 GB total RAM, but I have a Onboard 3200 and the HD4670 graphics card both enabled, which I believe is taking up 1 GB of that. I am really not sure what is taking that, I could also use advice on that.)

OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition Service Pack 2 (build 6002), 32-bit

Video Card: HIS Ati Radeon HD 4670
Direct link to one I purchased: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161337

Video Card Attributes / Video RAM:
3D Yes
Hardware T&L Yes
Pixel Shader version 4.1
Vertex Shader version 4.1
Dedicated Video RAM 1.0 GB

I'm wondering if I can play it on Medium Settings, on resolution 1024 x 768 or my maximum resolution 1280 x 1024 and what FPS I would get on medium settings.
Also what would my FPS be in big explosions or large gun fights?

If I can't get 30 FPS+ I'd probably just get another game I know would run fine, but I do know there is a lot of stability issues with the PC version of this, but I'd love it.

Please respond as soon as possible since the 1st of April I'll have to make my decision.
Thanks for reading!
15 answers Last reply
More about will well
  1. Will your PC run GTA IV? Yes.
    Will it run properly? Probably not.

    Many people who have the PC version of GTA IV have had to tweak it in some way to get to work properly. And with your AGP card, you probably will not get decent frame rates. So, if you get GTA IV, you will have to spend a few hours trying to get it to work properly, and even then, you might not be able to play it properly at 1024x768.
  2. I had a computer about the same as you have now, and it didn't work with medium settings.
    Sorry.

    You have a slightly better graphics card than I did back then.
  3. Thornyjohny said:
    Will your PC run GTA IV? Yes.
    Will it run properly? Probably not.

    Many people who have the PC version of GTA IV have had to tweak it in some way to get to work properly. And with your AGP card, you probably will not get decent frame rates. So, if you get GTA IV, you will have to spend a few hours trying to get it to work properly, and even then, you might not be able to play it properly at 1024x768.


    Thank you, but it seems odd to me there are ton of videos out their with it on high details and a higher resolution with my graphics card and it's running 20-30 FPS. I don't see why it wouldn't go 30+ FPS with me decreasing a bunch of settings.

    Personally I believe it would be fine, but I never know with how many problems I have heard with GTA IV for the PC. So I am pretty much at a stopping point.

    I'm still looking for more answers, since I have seen many videos of them playing with the same graphics card and has high resolution and more detail then what I want it, and it run 20-30 FPS. I don't know if whoever made the video isn't telling their proper video card or what.

    I don't think the video card would matter that much but in the way of detail, and I have been able to run Skyrim medium detail probably 30 FPS, I don't see why I couldn't run GTA IV on medium with 30 FPS+.

    More feedback is much appreciated!


    Anonymous said:
    I had a computer about the same as you have now, and it didn't work with medium settings.
    Sorry.

    You have a slightly better graphics card than I did back then.


    Slightly can mean a lot, and if I can run Skyrim medium detail with 30 FPS, there is no reason I can't run GTA IV medium detail with better performance than Skyrim.

    You may not have had a quad core system, since I heard that really affects GTA IV's performance, but I do.
    The small things can mean a lot.

    Sorry, but I can't believe your post that much, you may have just had bad luck with your system or something, but I can hardly believe that it wouldn't work on medium detail with 30 or more FPS when Skyrim was near 30 FPS.

    Again, more feedback is much appreciated.
  4. You've got a quad core CPU. That's a good start. An HD 4670? Looks okay, but not really good to play at medium. You'd have to turn down the detail distance and view distance. I advise you put textures to low, shadows on medium, water quality on meduim or low. And the result, you may be able to play the game at your desired resolution and at 30+ FPS.

    The explosions may mean that the frame rates would suddenly drop to perhaps 16-18, or just below 20.
    Also, patch the game up.
  5. Gman450 said:
    You've got a quad core CPU. That's a good start. An HD 4670? Looks okay, but not really good to play at medium. You'd have to turn down the detail distance and view distance. I advise you put textures to low, shadows on medium, water quality on meduim or low. And the result, you may be able to play the game at your desired resolution and at 30+ FPS.

    The explosions may mean that the frame rates would suddenly drop to perhaps 16-18, or just below 20.
    Also, patch the game up.


    Thanks.

    I decided to go ahead and purchase it, I can deal without Shadows as I really don't care for shadows in games.
    My friend owns it and gets 20-30 FPS and he has a worse graphics card to me, as long as it remains in that range I am fine with it, I am new to PC gaming so I am use to 30 FPS due to consoles being set to that.

    I'll keep you guys updated probably at how it runs within the next few days, since the game is a large size it'll take a while to download.
  6. The GPU's fine, I have a 4350 and I ran GTA IV at 30 fps with some tweaking and the textures at medium and the shadows to low. The problem is that your GPU's interface is AGP(or so it says on the newegg page), whereas mine is PCIe.
  7. 1addictedplayer said:
    Thanks.

    I decided to go ahead and purchase it, I can deal without Shadows as I really don't care for shadows in games.
    My friend owns it and gets 20-30 FPS and he has a worse graphics card to me, as long as it remains in that range I am fine with it, I am new to PC gaming so I am use to 30 FPS due to consoles being set to that.

    I'll keep you guys updated probably at how it runs within the next few days, since the game is a large size it'll take a while to download.

    You should note that the shadows at low, in GTA IV are just too grainy.
    And yes, the HD 4670 is not at all a bad card. Just don't find them much more these days.
    And yeah, keep us updated. :)
  8. Gman450 said:
    You should note that the shadows at low, in GTA IV are just too grainy.
    And yes, the HD 4670 is not at all a bad card. Just don't find them much more these days.
    And yeah, keep us updated. :)


    Yeah, I actually decided to turn off Shadows all the way since at Low it made everything even worse. At that point it was better to have nothing, then anything.

    To everyone who is also wanting to know, I did the benchmark testing and I got a good 32 FPS in the benchmark testing.
    It sometimes will go lower when there are heavy gunfights but other then that it's fine at 32 FPS.

    The settings I have it set to is:
    Resolution: 1024x768(70 hertz)

    Details: Everything is set to medium in the details range except for Shadows which is completely off since I don't care much for Shadows as of right now.

    View Distance and Car Density: They are in the 40 - 43 range.

    AA (I believe its called): X2

    Not the best settings but it's manageable, I just know I don't want Low Texture Detail, because Medium is already quite bad detail.

    Either way, thanks for all of your help. I hope this helps someone in the future with the same graphics card.
    I'll probably get a new graphics card in the future, since it's really not the best one out there.

    Thanks for all of your help!
  9. Nice to see that you've got the game to run well. :)
  10. HI,

    I am running GTA4 on Sony - VPCEH3AEN (i3, 4gb ram, nvidia 410M-512MB) on low setting, GTA-4 is running super fine.

    Whereas the same game is not running smoothly on HP pavillion G6(i5, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD 6470M (1 GB)). In fact the game is getting stuck very often

    Both are brand new laptops....

    Please give me a way to run GTA4 on my hp.....

    Thanks in advance :-)
  11. HI,

    I am running GTA4 on Sony - VPCEH3AEN (i3, 4gb ram, nvidia 410M-512MB) on low setting, GTA-4 is running super fine.

    Whereas the same game is not running smoothly on HP pavillion G6(i5, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD 6470M (1 GB)). In fact the game is getting stuck very often

    Both are brand new laptops....

    Please give me a way to run GTA4 on my hp.....

    Thanks in advance :-)
  12. HI,

    I am running GTA4 on Sony - VPCEH3AEN (i3, 4gb ram, nvidia 410M-512MB) on low setting, GTA-4 is running super fine.

    Whereas the same game is not running smoothly on HP pavillion G6(i5, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD 6470M (1 GB)). In fact the game is getting stuck very often

    Both are brand new laptops....

    Please give me a way to run GTA4 on my hp.....

    Thanks in advance :-)
  13. Gman450 said:
    Nice to see that you've got the game to run well. :)


    Quick Update: Well, when I first ran the benchmark testing I was running a live stream, and that is when I got 32 FPS.
    With out any other thing running like Google Chrome, I get 42 FPS. That's a big difference.

    I don't know what exactly caused 10 FPS that day, but now I am getting a good 42 FPS.

    So I am extremely happy with 42 FPS and sometimes dipping to 30 or so when BIG fights are happening.
  14. Sridhar Nag S said:
    HI,

    I am running GTA4 on Sony - VPCEH3AEN (i3, 4gb ram, nvidia 410M-512MB) on low setting, GTA-4 is running super fine.

    Whereas the same game is not running smoothly on HP pavillion G6(i5, 4GB RAM, Radeon HD 6470M (1 GB)). In fact the game is getting stuck very often

    Both are brand new laptops....

    Please give me a way to run GTA4 on my hp.....

    Thanks in advance :-)

    If you have got a query, please make your own thread first. Just click on 'Aks the community' button on the top right hand side of the forum, make your own discussion or a question thread.
    You wouldn't want to hijack the OP's thread.
  15. 1addictedplayer said:
    Quick Update: Well, when I first ran the benchmark testing I was running a live stream, and that is when I got 32 FPS.
    With out any other thing running like Google Chrome, I get 42 FPS. That's a big difference.

    I don't know what exactly caused 10 FPS that day, but now I am getting a good 42 FPS.

    So I am extremely happy with 42 FPS and sometimes dipping to 30 or so when BIG fights are happening.

    Google Chrome is quite memory hungry, and that could have been it. Nevertheless, nice to see that.
Ask a new question

Read More

PC gaming Video Games Product